1977 Jeep CJ Mechanical Clutch Linkage with a Body Lift

Hello Moses, I got one that I need help to try and fix.  The clutch arm assembly that connects from the transmission to the the plate on the fire wall that connects to the clutch is supposed to be on a 90 degree angle.  I have a 3" body lift and this is causing the arm to be on a 80 degree angle or so.  It works and has worked but I would like to fix it.   I believe I know the solution but need your opinion or what you would do. The plate that is on the firewall that has the eye hook that the arm connects to needs to come down 2" to 3" , then the arm would be at 90 degrees.  I can't find a plate that is longer, I was thinking to take off the plate that is on, weld on a new steel plate that is longer, weld on the old plate to the new one to make it work?  I have purchased a rugged ridge heavy duty clutch link kit  https://www.quadratec.com/products/52026_1010.htm for the extension. It's the plate with the eye hook that I am having a problem with.  I hope you see and understand my issue, if not, please ask me and I can send more pics or give more details of the problem.

Good Day

Simon

20210806_093757.jpg

20210806_093708.jpg

20210806_093715.jpg

RRHDCLK.webp

• Administrators

Understand completely, Simon.  You have a significant body tub spacer lift.  That raised the body/firewall up considerably while the transmission/engine remained at the normal frame height.  You need to lower the firewall end of the clutch linkage cross-shaft/tube to level the tube.

Yes, you do need to fabricate a longer drop bracket.  Like you suggest, I would use the original piece and mate enough extra length to level the cross tube.  A piece of suitable angle steel can be cut, shaped and welded to extend the factory bracket.  (Take careful measurements and do the welding on your welding bench, not in place!)  The idea is to drop the factory bracket straight down and drill new locating holes in the bracket to match the existing firewall studs or bolts.  An alternative would be extending the bracket from its lower end to retain the existing firewall mounting holes in the bracket. Use angle steel for the bracket extension to prevent flexing. Do any welding on your welding bench.

The rod from the pedal to the lever arm on the cross tube will need to be lengthened to approximately the same length as the drop bracket.  The kit you illustrate with Heim ends gives you the choice of three rod lengths, right?  It looks like this rod kit with extra lengths is intended for body lifts.  

Moses