1996 Geo Tracker w/factory A/C.  Need to replace the condenser fan, but have not found any specifications on the amp draw or CFM needed.  Have found several fans ranging between 500-1325 CFM up to 12.1 amps.  Does anyone know what the stock Amp/CFM specs are?  Has anyone replaced this fan, if so what did you use.  Have been advised to use the highest CFM that will work, if I can stand the noise.  Vehicle will be used in South Carolina, high temps and humidity.  Thanks for your help.

Les

• Administrators

lesmeister...I'm looking forward to others sharing their anecdotal experiences around specific products and fan designs.  Historically, my electric fan sources have been Hayden, Derale and Flex-a-Lite.  

I looked at these sources, and fan applications for your Geo Tracker have the CFM range you describe.  The real issue here, however, is the overall cooling capacity.  Simply put, you must meet the BTU output of the smaller engine.  A traditional, rough guideline for BTU demand has been 45 BTUs per horsepower.  Minimally, the cooling system must dissipate that amount of heat.  Additionally, there is extra heat/BTUs from the air conditioning condenser that must be addressed.  A wild card in your case is the high temperatures and, importantly, the high humidity.  It is difficult to get radiator efficiency in high humidity.

While the right CFM and amperage draw fan is important, adequate radiator capacity is equally important, often more critical than the electric fan function.  I would consider a high GPH flow radiator with dimple tube construction.  A copper or brass core would help further.  You need to break that South Carolina humidity barrier.  Once the radiator capacity has been addressed, the correct fan can create the airflow needed to handle the larger capacity radiator.  I would run a normal or slightly lower temperature thermostat to assure proper combustion, normal engine warm-up and correct coolant flow.  The thermostat doubles as a flow restrictor, which is necessary for proper cooling.

I would first address the radiator capacity and flow.  When selecting a fan, consider the fan's amperage peak.  If too high, you may be forced to upgrade the alternator and alternator cables as well. 

Others may have a specific fan they can suggest.  Otherwise, the three fan sources I mention can answer your cooling fan questions from a professional and engineering level.  Each has a technical phone line and email access.

Moses