Hello! My name is Allen and I am very new to this forum and also to working on Jeeps. I’ve recently bought a 1980 CJ7. I’m attempting to change to rear outer and inner seals. The rear end is an AMC20. My question, is there a size dimension spec for the retaining ring that is behind the inner bearing? 

• Administrators

Allen...If you have a retaining ring behind the axle shaft bearing, this must be a one-piece axle shaft (with the hub flange a part of the axle shaft).  The illustration below is the stock AMC 20 rear axle shaft (two-piece design with the shaft and hub flange separate).  If you have a one piece axle shaft with integral hub flange, that bearing would have a press-on lock ring.  The stock bearing (shown below) has a retaining lip or stop machined on the axle shaft (see item #1):

image.png.402844bd19e5432bd949f374cc143e

Please clarify which axle shaft type your 1980 CJ7 has...If a one-piece axle shaft with an integral hub flange, you have an aftermarket axle shaft conversion.  We have covered both axle shaft types at the forums.  See "AMC 20" search listings.

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 1980 CJ7 Jeep AMC 20 Rear Axle Retaining Ring