• Moses Ludel changed the title to 1998 TJ Wrangler 32RH Band Torque
  • Administrators

Tim...32RH is as follows.  Back off the lock nut enough to allow the adjuster to reach the correct torque setting:  3-5 turns on front adjuster;  5-6 turns on the rear adjuster:

1) Torque the front band to 72 inch-pounds, back out screw exactly 2-1/4 turns for the 32RH;  hold adjuster in place while torquing lock nut to 30 ft.-lbs.

2) Torque the rear band to 72 inch-pounds for the 32RH;  back out adjuster screw exactly four (4) turns for the 32RH;  hold the adjuster in place while torquing the lock nut to 25 ft.-lbs.

The rear band on a 30RH is 41 inch-pounds then backed off seven (7) turns.  These specs are straight out of the Mopar 1998 TJ Wrangler FSM.  If you plan to keep your Jeep, consider getting the FSM for your model and year.  They are available at eBay used and often cheap in reprint/CD form.  I like CDs for their ease of navigation.  Here is a current example of the 1998 Wrangler manual in CD form:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Jeep-Wrangler-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-CD/132415353641

Moses

Thank you , will do, recently bought this Jeep for my daughter, having trans issue with shifting and not down shifting at stop sign, actually has cut engine off, thinking possible torque converter locking up, trans. Had recently been rebuilt when purchased back in august, so not sure. Thank you again 

• Administrators

Hi, Tim...I think you're on the right track with a possible torque converter and/or governor solenoid issue.

I did an article at the magazine site that may be helpful for keeping your daughter's 32RH transmission alive.  These are inherent issues with Chrysler 3-speed RWD transmissions.  Review the article, it's likely not related to the transmission's  current symptoms but still useful:

https://www.4wdmechanix.com/Survival-Upgrades-for-Jeep-and-Dodge-Ram-Automatic-Transmissions?r=1

This might also be helpful but not directed at all of the Jeep and Ram automatics.  The 47RE/48RE are overdrive transmissions, yours is a traditional 3-speed similar to the older A904/A999 platforms:

https://www.4wdmechanix.com/ram-truck-47re-and-48re-transmission-in-chassis-survival-upgrades-from-bd-diesel-performance/

Let us know how this problem resolves...

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 1998 TJ Wrangler 32RH Band Adjustment