e4od

hi i have a 7.3 idi with the e4od transmission. i notice my tran has been shifting funny. it goes threw the gears 1st 2nd 3rd 4th back into 3rd then back into 4th. i changed out the tran oil and filter. i looked at the magnet in the bottom of pan there was not any little or big metal chips or any like that on it. but its still shifting funny so idk what else it could idk maybe a sensor issue .   

• Administrators

Hi, Sam...See whether there are any sensor codes stored.  A powertrain scan will turn up many of these troubles.  A simple code readout might turn up an answer.  If that does not produce an answer, let us know.  I will make further suggestions.

Erratic downshifts can be governor, VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or throttle pressure signal related.  Rather than borrow specific troubles, start with the simpler scan for codes. 

Before digging too deeply, check the harness plug connections at the transmission and the vehicle speed sensor plus the wiring harnesses.  Look for damage or poor grounds.  Check the shifter control switch at the transmission for a loose fit or visible damage.

Moses

On 10/28/2020 at 11:43 AM, Moses Ludel said:

Hi, Sam...See whether there are any sensor codes stored.  A powertrain scan will turn up many of these troubles.  A simple code readout might turn up an answer.  If that does not produce an answer, let us know.  I will make further suggestions.

Erratic downshifts can be governor, VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or throttle pressure signal related.  Rather than borrow specific troubles, start with the simpler scan for codes. 

Before digging too deeply, check the harness plug connections at the transmission and the vehicle speed sensor plus the wiring harnesses.  Look for damage or poor grounds.  Check the shifter control switch at the transmission for a loose fit or visible damage.

Moses

ok thanks