Hey all. New to this forum. I have recently inherited a 99' Wrangler with 132k miles that needs a bit of TLC. It has the 6 cyl and auto trans. 32RH I believe it is. I am working on the trans at this time and not sure of where everything goes. A little history of this Jeep. The previous owner was out trail riding with his crazy ex-girlfriend one day and and for whatever reason she grabbed the shifter and jammed it into park while they were in motion. After that incident the jeep would not hold in park. I think the park pawl is broken but have not investigated that yet. Also when moving the shifter through the gears there is no noticeable detent feeling in each position. Today I dropped the trans pan and lowered the valve body to look for signs of damage. No noticeable damage that I can see. The shift detent plate is in place and engages properly with the spring loaded ball when moving it manually to each position. When I lowered the valve body the accumulator piston and two springs came down with it but I didn't see where they came from as they fell slid out of position when lowering the valve body. My question is the placement of the smaller long spring. Does the small diameter spring go inside the end of the accumulator that goes up into the trans? I know the large spring rests on the valve body under the accumulator but have not been able to find any illustrations of where the smaller spring goes. Thanks 

Is this correct for the springs upon reassembly? The O-rings on the accumulator body look like they could be replaced. Does anyone know of a source for these O-rings or would I have to buy a transmission rebuild kit in order to get these. I also want to replace the seals on the shifter selector shaft since it’s apart.

8ED30E87-7922-4CA8-9C48-34614D604B1F.jpeg

• Administrators

Hi, Jim G...The 32RH is similar by design to other RE/RH transmissions.  I did an extensive article on upgrading these transmissions.  The article clarifies the spring positions in general, which you have guessed correctly, and indicates several weak points in your transmission.  You may want to pursue some of the upgrades while you have the pan down.  They do not require transmission removal.  See the Sonnax website online for 32RH upgrades:

https://www.4wdmechanix.com/Survival-Upgrades-for-Jeep-and-Dodge-Ram-Automatic-Transmissions?r=1

Here is the orientation of the pistons and springs.  #23 is the spring you are questioning.  Some O-rings come with the parts in a Sonnax upgrade kit (see my article).  Seals like the shift shaft may be available separately from Mopar/Jeep and are contained in an overhaul kit if you go that far:

image.png

Trust this helps...

Moses

Thanks for the info Moses. Much appreciated. With the sonnax accumulator piston upgrade do you happen to know if the stock small long spring Fits the sonnax accumulator piston? They mention needing to source a spring from another transmission if my stock spring will not fit On the inside portion of the piston.

• Administrators

Jim G...My piston kit was for the 48RE transmission.   If you can reach Sonnax at the tech line or by email, ask for an inside diameter measurement of their new accumulator piston.  Measure your spring's outside diameter.   See whether there's a match.

Most aftermarket accumulator pistons are for later transmissions like yours.  However, the kit may also cover the 30RH and earlier 904/999 units.  Some applications apparently have a different spring diameter. 

Moses 

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 1999 Wrangler 32RH Transmission Trouble