Double Cardan U-Joint Reassembly With Homemade Spring Compressor Tool

9 Steps to reassemble a Double Cardan U-Joint using my homebrew Centering Yoke Spring Compression Tool.

Simple tool design from material laying around the shop.

For all you old hands out there that are only interested in the tool, skip down to step #5.

1208444643_DoubleCardanRebuildStep1.jpg.9eda5b40a8e9d1b1e40b198055191cf0.jpg

129026098_DoubleCardanRebuildStep2.jpg.26f480ad40ce358e7d041cbe8f080e99.jpg

2146393121_DoubleCardanRebuildStep3.jpg.c3b7fea6b45113e2376981b95829de62.jpg

1364241820_DoubleCardanRebuildStep4.jpg.5b87bcfc92ceb8fab4f85cefb7bfdc69.jpg

1158137213_DoubleCardanRebuildStep5.jpg.c174f47183ea0fe8bd8fa67056c9ea9a.jpg

Tip: Use all 4 bolts to help square the yoke compression plate and double nut the threaded rods at the compression plate. Alignment and adjustment done at the other end of threaded rods.

1761473448_DoubleCardanRebuildStep6.jpg.2e99d4420966a690c41dcb56b8403f3f.jpg

1076247941_DoubleCardanRebuildStep7.jpg.530a278d9d158dfa13994e84ac448aa7.jpg

1344918328_DoubleCardanRebuildStep8.jpg.bd2b5e060b79e3136cc1835d11c0ee38.jpg

250515675_DoubleCardanRebuildStep9.jpg.e8806140f00ac5eec809cfe1f43b47b4.jpg

• Administrators

William...Simply brilliant!  This is a challenging job;  most toss in the towel and sublet the CV-type shaft to a driveline rebuilder.  Your homemade centering yoke spring compressor and what appears to be a universal ball-joint C-clamp installation/removal tool are a winner...THANKS FOR SHARING THIS WITH THE FORUM MEMBERS AND GUESTS!

The only thing I might add is that driveline assemblies are balanced.  Mark the relationship of the shaft and yoke before disassembly.  During assembly, make sure the CV yoke is in the same alignment with the shaft.  New U-joints rarely create a balance issue.  If you simply align the other parts in their original orientation, the shaft assembly will most likely remain in balance.

Moses

10 hours ago, Moses Ludel said:

William...Simply brilliant!  This is a challenging job;  most toss in the towel and sublet the CV-type shaft to a driveline rebuilder.  Your homemade centering yoke spring compressor and what appears to be a universal ball-joint C-clamp installation/removal tool are a winner...THANKS FOR SHARING THIS WITH THE FORUM MEMBERS AND GUESTS!

The only thing I might add is that driveline assemblies are balanced.  Mark the relationship of the shaft and yoke before disassembly.  During assembly, make sure the CV yoke is in the same alignment with the shaft.  New U-joints rarely create a balance issue.  If you simply align the other parts in their original orientation, the shaft assembly will most likely remain in balance.

Moses

Moses,

Thanks for taking the time to review my post.

My nearest reputable local driveline rebuilder is about 80 miles and they only offer drop off service. That would mean at least 2 trips for a total of 320 miles.

I watched several you tube videos on how to rebuild these. None had a good solution on how to compress the spring and most were examples of how NOT to do it.

Hope some will be able to benefit from this simple tool design. I am sure others can improve on it. Like I said, it was built 100% from material laying around.

Saved enough money by doing it myself to snag a nice Snap-On ball joint tool set at a good price from eBay. 

You are very correct about the balance. Before disassembly, I did mark the components for alignment. If you look again at step 4, you can see a scratch mark on the H Frame that aligns to a mark on the shaft. I just forgot to mention in my reassembly procedure.

I also would recommend purchasing a complete rebuild kit with new centering yoke with bearing already installed.

In my application, this driveline runs at very near the maximum angle. It now runs vibration free.

William

• Administrators

William...What I like is the degree of control you created here.  Each step can be performed with smooth effort, gauging what you're doing as you press the bearing caps into place and center up the tensioned spring and pin.  The H-frame is hefty and awkward to handle any other way, you make this look easy. 

I see your alignment marks for assuring that the parts will be back in balance...This assembly method can easily align the parts as they come together.  Smart, efficient—and well worth the quality Snap-On tool you snagged at eBay!  The fuel and time savings alone were enough to pay for the tool, materials and new U-joints...Are these NEAPCO joints with the white grease seals?

For those in search of an inexpensive ball-joint C-frame and ball-joint cups, Harbor Freight sells a decent and affordable C-frame and cup kit.  William's use of a ball-joint press tool in this application is an additional, practical use.

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Double Cardan U-Joint Reassembly With Homemade Spring Compressor Tool