I've been working on my 1987 YJ Wrangler 2.5L TBI  for sometime now. I put in a new gas pump, gas tank, fuel filter plugs and a distributor cap. Before that I put in a new radiator due to an overheating issue.  When I get out and drive for about 20 minutes it just dies and will not start back up. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and I can get another 20 minute run out of it.  Please help me to get cruising again.

• Administrators

Hi, Troy...This sounds like an ignition issue.  When you get the stall, check spark at #1 cylinder.  Remove the #1 spark lead and attach the plug end to an old spark plug.  Ground the spark plug against the cylinder head.  Have someone crank the engine and watch for a strong, steady spark.

My first suspicion from this symptom is the ignition module.  Once hot, it faults.  Cools down, the engine will run.  Ignition modules are usually at fault if all else works properly.

The ignition coil or ignition pickup in the distributor can also fault when hot.  A coil can be easily tested with a volt-ohm meter, both hot and cold.  

Let us know if this nails it.  We can dig deeper...

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Jeep 4.2L Will Not Keep Running

I really appreciate you getting back with me Moses . This is the first time I turned to the internet for a problem.  It is a 1987 jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L engine. It drives fine for about 20 minutes and the engine loses all power. I will try your suggestions.  Thank you for the reply.

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Jeep 2.5L TBI Engine Will Not Keep Running