Rare Aussie1966 Willys 4x4 Pickup

I picked up this 1966 Willys 4WD Pickup.  It has a good body and Toyota 3B diesel engine transplant.  The truck has a mysterious 2-piece windshield, odd for that year.  A closer look shows it was originally a one-piece, correct for 1966.  The last U.S. Willys Pickup was 1964, they still made them in Australia after that point.

IMG_2430.JPG

Nice bumpers.  I will likely put a Toyota bed on this truck.

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

A better body than my 1957 Willys project.  Will likely work on this one instead for now.

IMG_2434.JPG

Diesel engine is enough for this truck, drives well and get really good fuel mileage.

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

$_20 (4).JPG

Right hand drive with signs of being built at Australia.

20171206_081900.jpg

VIN says 1966 build.  Below is a very interesting letter that describes how Willys made VIN numbers.

DominionSPD358.GIF

This VIN code sheet is useful to older Willys-Jeep model identification.

1966 Kaiser Jeep Paint Charts DuPont.jpg

Resized_20171027_165636_8315.jpeg

Here are the three VIN tags.

• Administrators

Interesting and indeed a rare Willys 4WD Pickup, Ian!  The Australia Pty Limited tag shows this was likely a 230 OHC Tornado inline six before the Toyota engine swap.  You are very fortunate not to have that engine in the Jeep, it was notorious for valve and valve guide problems, had a complicated valve timing mechanism and little could be said for its throwback 4-main bearing crankshaft. 

The 230 OHC engine was a pioneer engineering effort for a U.S. truck application in the 1962-65 era.  The 230 Tornado evolved from Kaiser's Continental 226 inline six, a basically solid L-head.  Kaiser-Jeep Corporation abandoned the 230 OHC design for civilian Jeep vehicles by 1965.  The base six-cylinder engine of choice in the J-truck and Wagoneer became the outsourced 232 AMC 7-main bearing inline six, a rugged design that survived and morphed into the 258 and later 4.0L engines.  The 230 OHC survived through the Vietnam Era in the M-715 military trucks that were basically a Gladiator J-truck with mass.  AMC's 327 V-8 also became a Jeep offering in the mid-'60s. 

Which, if any, of these AMC engines wound up in mid-'Sixties Australian-built Jeep models?  I see the trademark stock Willys steering wheel in your '66 cab.  Does this '66 model Willys still have the Ross TL steering gear, or did they step up to something a bit better for Australia?  (U.S. J-trucks and the Wagoneer of that vintage were using Gemmer worm-and-roller gears like Ford and Dodge trucks did for many years.)  However, your Willys steering column looks like it leads to a traditional Ross cam-and-lever steering gear...Would you keep the cam-and-lever TL gear?  It's light duty for a truck this size and a diesel engine.  How does the truck drive?  What does a 3B diesel engine weigh?

Moses

when trying to match up the '66 willys frame and body, I discovered a lack of frame numbers on these early aussie assembled jeeps i.e. my fsj, cj5 the 57 willys pickup & this 66 pickup

my cj10 that was built in mexico has a frame number stamped in the chassis 

yes im glad its got the little diesel its great on fuel & they are a reliable & long lived engine not sure of the weight but it drives well doesnt feel too heavy on the nose but when i put a full size tray on the back it will balance the weight a bit more

ill check out the steering to see what it is it does look to be the original setup though

as for the amc engines offered here as far as i know we got the 232, 258 l6's & 304 & 360 v8's not sure if others were used i know the 401 came in the javelin

also 60s cj6's came with the ford 6 from the corresponding year ford falcon the were called combat 6's i think it was part of the local content laws that was imposed on manufacturers in those days

cheers, Ian

• Administrators

Ian...Interesting about the frame stamping numbers. My first recollection of stamping numbers on U.S. frames was AMC/Jeep era in 1972, which was by then federally mandated.  (Could have been done on later Kaiser era models in the late 'sixties, too.) 

Jeep vehicles sold off the VIN plate and often the actual date of sale.  There were many early models that sold a year or two after production and were registered incorrectly, like a CJ2A being called a 1952 model on the title and registration even though the CJ2A had been replaced by the CJ3A several years before that date.

Some states even registered earlier vehicles from the engine number, which created a nightmare if a connecting rod tossed through a block and ruined the original engine—or when a block cracked seriously in a freezing winter.  Most replacement engines came with no numbers stamped (either blank or milled off) to permit the owner to stamp the original engine/vehicle ID number onto the block.  By the 'sixties, vehicles were sold by body VIN tag numbers only, which ultimately became stamped on the frame and other parts.

Moses

• 7 months later...

I bought the patch panel from Kaiser Willys but the inner piece i bent up myself

ive done the little bit of bog (bondo) work & primed it dont want it going rusty already 

unfortunately i wont be around to paint it next weekend so itll have to wait 2 weeks but ill get it in spray putty & all rubbed down after work during the week then itll be quicker when i get time to paint

cheers  ian

20180909_160326.jpg

20180909_160725.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

took the day off work today it was great painting weather & not having a spray booth i have to pick the right day & there are way too many bugs in the evening now once i can uncover the engine ill drive it out of the shed for some day light pics but im happy with it its not my best panel job but it is a 4wd

cheers  ian

20180915_221813.jpg

20180915_221825.jpg

20180926_064432.jpg

20180926_111701.jpg

20180926_111723.jpg

20180926_142252.jpg

20180926_142345.jpg

20180926_142405.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Moses

its been a while since ive had a chance to do any more but me & my son inlaw attempted to fit the windscreen this morning but it would not cooperate it is the 2 piece neither of us have done either a 2 piece or a willys before but we have done plenty of other vehicle without issue this all seems backwards 

the way the rubber is the glass has to be installed from the inside but this doesnt seem possible 

have you ever replaced a windscreen in 1 of these trucks

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian...See if this helps, the factory workshop manual approach for the Willys-style Jeep pickups.  Attached is a PDF with your information, see T-12 and T-13.  T-12 is the two-piece windshield glass installation, a two-person job for sure.

Moses

P.S.:  I recopied the document to make the 3rd page more clear.  It's T-13 section but may have some useful tips.  You'll likely benefit most from the T-12 (two-piece windshield) section.

Jeep-Willys Pickup 2-Piece Windshield Glass Installation.pdf

Hi Moses thanks for that but that is exactly what we have tried the problem is that the Apillars are narrower than windshield  so with a bit of messing about & unbolting the steering column i was able to get both ends in but while trying push the center out to the windshield frame i used a little too much force & now i have to cut a new piece but i think ive worked it i think ill make a video for youtube it might help others

all the research ive done it just seems like its a pain in the but & some windshield guys refuse to touch them 

im kind of wishing i had gone with the 1 piece now but i want the 2 piece look

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Sounds challenging, Ian...I guessed from the photos that this was a one-off installation but thought the OEM approach for the one- and two-piece windshields might cast some light.

So, the glass needs custom sizing, fortunately this is flat glass, something "modern" vehicles don't have.  I noticed the center rib.  Is that a piece you constructed?  Will you cover this with a chrome trim piece?

The video would be very helpful to others!

Moses

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Very cool pattern, Ian!  Reminds me of Native American petroglyphs at our local Great Basin (USA).  Australia has incredible Aboriginal artwork in the Outback and elsewhere dating back 40,000 years...Fitting theme for the Willys!

Moses 

yes i think it suits the general theme of the vehicle well & shouldnt show the dirt too much

i canibalised a ford festiva for the sunvisors

thats the first time ive ever made my own roof liner it took a bit of mucking about & making it up as i went along but im happy enough with the results, the head liner bows came from an old toyota hilux my brother killed & left in my dads paddock

im glad of a bit of time off work to be able to get a few thing done

cheers  ian

20181229_174150.jpg

20181230_103214.jpg

Hi moses

did a bit of suspension work today started at the front only to find out that the pin & bush for the pivot eye at the rear of the front leaves are not the size that is listed for this truck so i measured them & checked the sizes on Kaiser willys website it appears that i need the pins & bushes for the earlier mb,gpw cj2 3 5 etc 

so i moved to the rear & they all fitted nicely so im half way there just need to order a couple more pins & bushes

i guess the aussie assembly plant didnt want to stock more parts than they had to as they would have already had the front spring assemblies for these diffs for the other models

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Hi, Ian, Happy New Year!  The headliner looks "professional", you did figure this out.  The Toyota top bows should keep your handiwork in place...

The Willys/Kaiser plant at Australia was no different than the Willys plant at Toledo.  Parts were mixed and used as available.  A classic example was the 1955-56 era CJ-5 and CJ-6.  Willys used M38A1 frames, windshields and other parts in these models.  My '55 had "reversed shackles" at the front springs, the frame was M38A1 derivative.  Actually a better design than the CJs with their front spring anchors at the rear of the leaf springs.  Mine had a one-piece windshield, many had the two-piece design from the M38A1.

Your infinite patience will see you through this project.  Glad the Toyota diesel is worthy.  An option would be the Cummins R2.8L if you hit the lottery...

Moses

• 1 month later...

Hi Moses

weve got the windscreen in didnt manage to do a video for youtube but its in we had to cut the glass slightly smaller than original as we used laminated glass the original was tempered so we could not apply the same pressure on the glass as would have in the factory

so now all i have to do is fit the tray on the back & get a weigh bridge certificate then the engineer can inspect it ready for rego

20190207_123055.jpg

20190207_123100.jpg

20190207_123117.jpg

20190207_123137.jpg

• Administrators

Ian...The windshield installation looks fantastic, this involved two-piece glass and divider is a vintage cue.  Worth the extensive effort, the windshield gives the truck an authentic "look"...

Quite a project,  you persevered!  Nice work...The tray/flatbed deck at the back should do it...Is the powertrain ready for the long haul?

Moses

• 1 month later...

Hi Moses i got the tray on it today so now just have to get the engine swap signed off by an engineer then it can be inspected for rego

& i still have to fit the mud guards to the tray

ill take some better pics when its not raining 

cheers  ian

20190309_131135.jpg

20190309_131214.jpg

20190309_131247.jpg

20190309_131302.jpg

• Administrators

Ian...Great truck for a period look, function and reasonable modifications...What is the bed source?  It has practical side-loading ability...Asian?  The head rack and front bumper should provide serious protection.   Do you plan to tuck a winch behind the front bumper?  What is the curb (unloaded, on board fuel but no cab occupants) weight for the truck at this stage?

Is the engineer with the vehicle registration agency?  How does such a "referee" (California CARB engine swaps) interact with the agencies?

Moses

Hi Moses the bed came from a toyota land cruiser but as these were delivered as a cab chassis it would be made here in aus i would asume

unsure of the weight at this point but i will have to get a weigh bridge certificate before i can rego it although it shouldnt be much more than stock as the engine / gearbox is only 30kgs more than the original according to my internet research

didnt plan on putting a winch on it i figured at its age probably not a good idea to use it for extreme offroading i think ill treat it nice

the engineer is an independent but approved by the licensing dept automotive engineer that has to inspect & test where necessary modified,imported,experimental,hotrods etc vehicle & supply a cert to say it meets the required standards to be road registered then it will still need to be inspected by an approved licensing inspector for general roadworthyness

so theres a but of mucking about involved but itll get there

cheers ian

• Administrators

Hi, Ian...The engineer sounds like the California model for Clean Air Resources Board.  Engine swaps are legal if two basic criteria are met:  1)  engine must be same year or new than chassis and in the same emissions class and 2) the tailpipe tests must show emissions at or below the emissions standard for the original engine in good operating condition.  If the swap is legal, the owner takes the vehicle to a "Referee Station" for an inspection around the engine conversion.  

At California and other states that use this standard, you cannot swap a Class 2 or 3 engine (basically from a heavier light-duty truck or a medium duty GVW truck) into a Class 1 emissions vehicle (a car, SUV or light truck to 6000 pounds GVWR).   Our 1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee 4WD is a Class 1 emissions vehicle by this standard:

≤ 6,000 Class 1: ≤ 6,000 lbs Light Duty ≤ 10,000 lbs Light Duty ≤ 10,000 lbs
10,000 Class 2: 6,001-10,000 lbs
14,000 Class 3: 10,001-14,000 lbs Medium Duty 10,001-26,000 lbs Medium Duty 10,001-19,500 lbs
16,000 Class 4: 14,001-16,000 lbs
19,500 Class 5: 16,001-19,500 lbs
26,000 Class 6: 19,501-26,000 lbs Light Heavy Duty 19,501-26,000 lbs
33,000 Class 7: 26,001-33,000 lbs Heavy Duty ≥ 26,001 lbs Heavy Duty ≥ 26,001 lbs
> 33,000 Class 8: > 33,000 lbs

This stipulation made it impossible to install an Isuzu/GM 3.9L four-cylinder diesel engine into our gasoline XJ Cherokee.  (Diesel engine to a gasoline vehicle was not the problem, the engine's use by GVW was the issue.)  However, I could put a VW, Volvo passenger car or BMW turbo-diesel engine in this chassis.  (Why bother, right?)  The requirements are very weird, as the Isuzu engine is relatively clean burning and emissions compliant, but the chassis applications are Emissions Class 2 and 3 trucks.  I wanted a 50-State legal result.  Advance Adapters was willing to prototype a swap kit, but we agreed that such a venture needed to yield a 50-State legal package.

As a point of interest, Cummins is caught in a conundrum with its R2.8L turbo-diesel crate engine.  The engine meets requirements for emissions but has no U.S./EPA approved use in a motor vehicle.  (Cummins did a joint venture concept vehicle with Nissan.  They installed this engine in a Frontier pickup with great results, but the model never went into production, which would have resulted in EPA approval and a legal emissions prototype for certifying the crate engine as a "2019 Nissan Frontier" (Class 1 emissions) engine...Cummins has been trying to certify this crate engine on its own merits to market as a California/50-State legal crate engine package.  The California ARB has yet to approve or issue an E.O. number on this engine.  The process is in stalemate at present.

Moses

Hi Moses 

fortunately due to the age of this vehicle it is pre emissions regulations so it wont have to be tested for emissions

our ADR's (australian design rules) cannot be retrospectively applied therefore it only has to meet rules that existed when it was first registered but the rule about the engine not being older than the chassis applies over here

so most of what the engineer has to do is make sure the conversion was done in a correct safe manner im sure that there would be more involved were it a later model vehicle

interesting info i hope that cummins are successful with there bid for compliance on that engine

• Administrators

I'm rooting for Cummins, too, Ian...I publicized the R2.8L turbo-diesel with enthusiasm, including interviews with Cummins' Steve Sanders.  Cummins was confident of an E.O. number from California, as Chevrolet got one on the E-Rod crate V-8 engine (which likely had a domestic vehicle installation prototype with EPA approval). 

Cummins was actually breaking ground with the effort to approve a crate engine without an EPA vehicle donor.  The R2.8L engine meets Euro current and go-forward emissions requirements, way in excess of U.S. standards for Cummins' E.O. attempt, which initially targeted a 1999 or earlier chassis application—just to assure a lower bar for emissions levels.  Cummins planned to proceed from there, gradually including later chassis like the Jeep JK and such.  Several non-compliance ("49-State") examples are in the field now.  You'd like the installs on an FJ62 chassis, FJ40s, Land Rovers and a TJ Wrangler or two.

Moses

• Administrators

Ian, this is fascinating!  The derivative Jeep models and even full departures from U.S. models are really something.  I like the Combat 6 (Falcon 144/170 powered!) and Nissan diesel engine options.  Apparently, the Australian division was given autonomy to serve the country's usage needs.  Your CJ10 (J10 'Tonner') and other models look stout and rugged in the marketing photos.  There's a bent on utility much like the U.S. vehicles in the day...I like the pragmatism in the design features and continued build of models that worked well—like the CJ-7.

Thanks for sharing...Others should really find the information interesting.  Jeep had an early presence in Australian.  The tall hood CJ-3B happens to be my favorite flat-fender!

Moses