I recently rebuilt an AX 5 transmission, first time doing so, not new to rebuilding transmission though.  After replacing all the bearing and synchronizing rings, first and second shift fork and collar and all other clips and springs necessary.  I now have a couple issues, first off it will not shift into 5th or reverse ( it did on the bench) second issue is when I drove it it was very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd and visa versa.  I am thinking 1st/2nd issue would be the detents and springs in the hub assembly.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrators

hotz...What year is the chassis and which 4-cylinder model (XJ, YJ or TJ)?  Since the transmission shifted okay on the bench, I have some questions:

1) Does the Jeep have a lift kit with a dropped skid plate?  Is the shifter interfering with the floorboard opening or the shifter boot?

2) Is the clutch disengaging completely?  If the clutch is not disengaging, you might not be able to get the shifter into gear.

3) Is there a possibility that the transmission is misaligned to the engine block or that the crankshaft pilot bearing is misaligned?  Could there be binding between the input gear nose end and the pilot bearing?

There are any number of transmission related issues that could create these symptoms, but you sound confident that you followed the guidelines for building this AX5 properly...The build is similar to an AX15, and I have step-by-step rebuild rental available at Vimeo On Demand:  http://www.vimeo.com/ondemand/ax15rebuild

We can try a few things here first if you'd like...

Moses