75 cj5 needs a little love

Hi Moses

picked this little cj5 up this weekend as well its been neglected so the floors are pretty much gone but its sound enough to give it another lease on life so a bit of rust work & a few parts (new fenders) some wiring etc havent checked the engine or driveline yet but will sort the body first

20170918_170229.jpg

20170918_170241.jpg

20170918_170252.jpg

20170918_170302.jpg

20170918_170345.jpg

20170918_170350.jpg

Hi Moses

hers a few more pics looks like the original engine was a 232 but if im not mistaken the engine is a 71 258 also a pic of the transfer & the tag on the transfer the rear diff is a d44 the gearbox is a 3 spd havent looked at it ill take the body off then itll be easier to see

also it appears to be a 75 model built in 74

cheers  ian

20170920_161530.jpg

20170920_161536.jpg

20170920_161755.jpg

20170920_162034.jpg

20170920_162136.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Gotcha...We have discussed this vehicle over time.  The rust at the front kick panel(s) is a deja vu:  I had an '81 CJ-5 project vehicle for OFF-ROAD Magazine and my first edition of the Jeep Owner's Bible.  It came with similar rust, though not as conspicuous.  The paint was exfoliated at that location...Flat panels can be cut out and replaced readily!

• Administrators

Nice work, Ian...and plenty of it!  These tubs are vulnerable to rust in these areas.  In the U.S., the use of brine/salt on roads has taken a tremendous toll.  A NE based company makes TJ Wrangler frame repair sections for repair of the exfoliated, disintegrated box frames!  Body sheet metal is somewhat easier to tackle, especially these flat panels.  You're doing a great job of it.

Are you blasting these tubs?  The challenge is seam sealing when they get dipped.  I had an FJ40 Landcruiser tub that we completely dipped, and the seam reseal was a major chore.  Soda blasting is an alternative these days, and it does not surface harden the sheet metal like glass bead or other abrasive blasting media.  It's difficult to work sheet metal after blasting with harder media.

What's the long term plan/usage for these restored CJ Jeep 4x4s?   The Willys Pickup plans?  Do you still get out with the FSJ Wagoneer?  Any trips on the horizon?

Moses

Hi Moses i have sand blasted some areas before welding the patches in with my small blaster but i am considering getting the whole tub professionally soda blasted once ive completed the rust repairs as it has 3 layers of paint on it & plenty of surface rust

long term plans im not sure but ill be getting the cj6 out on the beaches this summer thats for sure & this cj5 my wife has claimed it so i guess itll be her little summer runabout

the willys pick up has had its engineering inspection & im still waiting for the dept of transport to send me a letter confirming that i can proceed with the registration process it shouldnt be much longer now the engineer said they usually take 6-8 weeks so it should be here soon not sure if ill keep it though its not very comfortable on long trips so i will probably sell it to fund other projects it is an expensive hobby as im sure you are aware

the fsj has been doing a few local fishing trips but i had a chat to my brother last night & it looks like it will be going in a charity rally next year across the simpson dessert that should be a great trip but its still a year away yet so i might have to give it a few shake down runs before hand to be sure its all still sound mechanically ill keep you posted as i get more info as the exact route & timing are to be confirmed

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Quite a Jeep fleet, Ian, much variety as well!  The CJs are always fun for recreational use, the FSJ has the right wheelbase and ride quality for highway and all-around use.  The Willys makes a great parade vehicle; too much restoration and detailing work to risk damage as an off-road vehicle, though they were workhorses in the day.  Willys handling/ride quality is archaic...The CJ5 and CJ6 will handle the beaches well.  Next year's charity rally sounds worthwhile for a lengthy outback trip with the FSJ!

Over the years, with moves that resulted in less storage space,  we've trimmed our approach.  The '99 XJ Cherokee has proven to be a tough all-around vehicle.  Ride quality is good with the 6-inch long arm suspension and 33" tires, the 4.0L engine with AW4 automatic is a rugged package.  I fit the axles with 4.10 gears and ARB Air Lockers, and the vehicle has worked as a daily driver and for highway use, mild off-roading and even as a moderate rock crawler.  The latter has been kept to a bare minimum, mostly for publicity shots and filming at places like Moab.  The odometer reads 176K miles on this vehicle, we bought it stone stock at 94K.  The only fixes have been a new water pump, radiator, brake service, front unit hubs, driveline upgrades, and I just installed a rear main seal and rebuilt/resealed the Saginaw power steering gear.

Hot tip on the inline AMC/Jeep rear main seal installation:  Use a Fel-Pro main seal and Fel-Pro OS34308R oil pan gasket.  Fel-Pro has made the pan installation a breeze with its four plastic expansion studs and a one-piece gasket.  I was able to support the new gasket and even a new Dorman oil pan (good product, too!) in place overhead, starting the bolts with no need to hold the pan.  (Unheard of, right?)  Tossed in a new Sealed Power iron oil pump and Melling screen for insurance at 176K miles.  Good cylinder seal and great bearings, original injectors, who's to complain about an MPI/EFI engine?  The Saginaw gear bench build went well, you're familiar with this chore.  The steering feels as new, the Jeep rides and handles well.

I've owned/restored/built up a 1950 CJ3A, 1981 CJ-5, a 1955 CJ-5 (first year) and an '87 Grand Wagoneer.  Add three Toyota FJ40 builds along the way:  1971(stock), 1976 (lifted/oversized tires and a 383 stroker Chevy V-8 with SM465 4-speed, and a 1978 with a 383 and NV4500 transmission...Each had its place, the FSJ was my wife's favorite.  

Moses