Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well I have finished rebuilding my Dana 300 I thought I would post some thoughts about the process.

1. When I unpacked the rebuild kit that I purchased I ended up with parts that I could not identify as coming from the the Dana 300, very confusing..  Come to find out the kit was a universal kit and also worked with other transfer cases.

2. For the most part the actual rebuild process went easier than anticipated.  The main time consuming part of the rebuild was finding out the right combination of sockets, tubing, and plates to press the bearing into place.

3. The one task that was the most frustrating was adjusting the end play for the output shafts. In other cases when I have had to reduce the end play on a shift I would add shims to take up space and therefor reduce end play.  And, to increase the end play remove shims.  What I found out was that because of were the shims a placed on the output shaft in relation to the bearing the endply adjustment was just the opposite of the "norm". Not being very smart it took me a full day to figure this out.

Finally, while I am not looking forward to rebuild another transfer case it is a job I could probably due in half the time it took for this first job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used novak-adaptors.  

I used their instruction sheet, could be better, Moses's CJ7 Rebuilders Bible and several YouTube videos to get through the build.  

I also called Novak's tech support several times, especially when I tried to identify the additional parts. 

Good Luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...