Well, I have gotten the input shaft and front and rear output shafts and the bearing covers together and attached to the case.  

In trying to check and see how everything is fitting together I attempted to see how the shift rods moved.  The rear output rod moves OK but is a little stiff.  However the front output rod is almost impossible to move in and out.  If I disconnect the front shift fork the rod will move in the case but it is still VERY hard  With the front shift fork is disconnected it does not seem to move smoothly along the rod.  Is this just an issue of there not being enough lube on the rod, even though the rods were coated with engine assembly lube when put together?  Or, could it be a problem with the line up of the interlock plugs?

Any suggestions?

Rick   

• Administrators

The interlock plug and spring configuration or rod alignment is always a crucial concern with these gear drive transfer cases.  It's not unusual to have rail resistance within reasonable norms.  The shift lever is long for a good reason: leverage.  This does not rule out a bind created by shaft/rod alignment, interlock plug fit or parts layout, or a combination of rail, plug and spring positioning.

I like your isolating the problem.  Be aware that the front output rod cannot move if the other rod is not centered properly.  The rods must be in proper locations (nearly impossible to "swap" rods due to the alignment points for the fork set screws).  Make sure the rods index properly in their neutral position and check fork alignments with gear and hub sleeve parts.  Be sure the gears and clutch hub each position properly and do not bind.  Look over the gear alignment, fork positions and check the free movement of gear and sleeve parts.  Rotate input or output shafts/flanges while trying to move shift rods.  This helps eliminate common gear bind when shifting.

If one rod is even slightly out of its neutral position or if the rod is rotated slightly, this will ramp up the shift plug, forcing the plug(s) to lock out the movement of the second rod.  The purpose for the interlock mechanism is to assure that you cannot move both rails at the same time. A plug or spring out of sequence, in the wrong position, damaged or ramping up when it should not be will prevent the second rod from moving.

Let us know what you find here...

Moses