Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am a disabled man of 56, my speedometer cable broke and they want the length, 73 International 1210 Camper Special 4x4, 392 big block, automatic power steering and a/c , I can't seem to see where it connects behind dash due to my disability, does anyone know the length so I can order it and have a shop put it in, please any help would be appreciated, thanks again for having me, and anywhere besides IH to buy it from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

bluesteel48aj...Welcome to the forums.  There are two ways to replace a speedometer cable:  the entire cable with cable housing or just the cable.  If the housing is okay and not splitting or rough inside, it can be cleaned thoroughly and lubed by a capable shop.  The cable itself can be constructed from a universal cable kit with ends.  

Like you share, an NOS I-H cable with housing would likely be expensive.  I would first have a shop determine whether your original speedometer cable housing is serviceable.  Then a universal cable can be sized to length to restore your speedometer's function.  Here is an illustration of the parts I'm describing:


This is just one example of the universal cable kits available in the aftermarket...Dorman and others also offer these kits through general auto parts stores.  NAPA would likely be a source.

Pioneer makes complete cable/housings for many vehicles.  You might be able to match your 1210's speedometer cable and housing to a currently available choice, one that is the proper length with correct fittings at each end of the housing.  Here are some Pioneer catalog offerings for speedometer cables:


https://www.summitracing.com/nv/search/part-type/speedometer-cables?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=speedometer cable&kr=speedometer cable

Lokar also makes speedometer cables, and your I-H speedometer housing has typical American thread types at each end.  Though not inexpensive, this is an option:


To begin, the shop needs to first disconnect your speedometer cable from behind the dash/speedometer and at the transmission/transfer case.  They can then remove the broken cable pieces and make an assessment whether the entire cable/housing needs replacement or just the cable.  If you need an entire cable with housing, your original cable/housing can be completely removed, measurements taken, fittings evaluated, and a match can be found.  Of course, if a cable core is the fix and the housing is still usable, that would be a much simpler repair.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...