What about a Ford Escape 4x4 diesel engine conversion?

• Administrators

Keith Rich...The concept is very interesting.  However, if you need to meet emission compliance, does the controversial VW TDI conversion engine create a problem with state certification?  

You might consider the high tech Cummins R2.8L turbo diesel.  Cummins is pursuing emission certification (50-State) as a crate engine package for any Tier 1 chassis installation.  Steve Sanders shares that this will advance to Tier 2, etc., once the program is rolling.  Your vehicle type is not in the first certification group but may be soon as Cummins and Advance Adapters pursue the Jeep JK Wrangler applications for this engine. 

Here is more information on the R2.8L Cummins package.  In the video interview, you can see the engine and its performance advantage over the VW TDI:

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/advance-adapters-and-cummins-2-8l-diesel-engine-conversion-for-jeep/

We have discussions going here at the forums as well:

At the forums Search box, set for "All Content" and call up "R2.8L Cummins".  You'll see a number of threads on the Cummins R2.8L...

Moses

Thanks Moses. I have been looking at the R2.8l and it is interesting. Having just given up my TDI in the buy back, I know how great of an engine it was. Over 50,000 miles, I averaged 48.3 mpg. Living in Idaho and in the rural section, the emissions are not that big of deal. I also think that when the fix comes in, it will not be that drastic that it can not be done to the change over. Would the R2.8 fit into an Escape?

• Administrators

Keith Rich...I wondered about the R2.8L Cummins height, too, you could get dimensions and compare.  The engine is slated for the Nissan Frontier pickup, and that's not a very deep oil pan to valve cover range.  Worth taking some measurements.

How much does the 4x4 Escape weigh?  Would that lean toward the R2.8L?  The TDI and it's fuel mileage is largely dependent upon the vehicle's weight (and tuning!).  Worth making that comparison.  For sure, the R2.8L diesel would scoot the Escape along...On the other hand, there should be a flood of VW TDI engines available for recycling at a reasonable fare—for the first time.  These engines were at a premium before the debacle. 

Not clear what approach you would take with the mounting position of the TDI into the Escape.  Any thoughts there?  Which transmission?  How would you adapt it?

Moses

I have the advantage of having access to a 2001 escape in need of a new engine. That is why I am wondering. A beetle tdi came up at auction this last week and that is what got the thoughts going. The weight is under 4300#. Will they be making the R2.8l so it will fit specifically into an escape or just an explorer?

• Administrators

Keith Rich...Currently, the R2.8L is a crate engine package as outlined in the video interview.  Its only clear adapter option is to the AX15 Jeep/Toyota transmission, and mounts are available.  There is no Explorer or Escape "package" on the drawing board at present, though the engine has recently seen a Land Rover Defender installation by professionals and is slated for other innovative fabricators' approaches.  

Some adapters are available, others may become available.  Overall, in the foreseeable future, installers must be innovators and find their way, with the exception of the Jeep applications that will be closer to package level and more "turn key".  Stay in contact with Advance Adapters and let your interests be known.  

Frankly, I've done many 4x4 projects and engine conversions over the years, and the R2.8L engine into an Escape would currently begin at No Man's Land.  For that matter, so would the TDI swap unless VW and Ford share transmission and other component features.  These kinds of conversions take a good deal of time, "engineering", welding skills, knowledge of parts interchange, and more.  If that piques your interest, you can be the ground breaker for an Escape/diesel conversion!

Moses