YZ250 Woods Weapon Build

In all my free time I don't have I decided to add another bike to the stable. I picked up a nice 07 YZ250 to turn into my enduro/woods bike. The bike was fairly clean on the outside but the build hasn't been without issue. A simple fork service turned into a full rebuild thanks to a bad free piston. I upgraded with a machined aluminum free piston from ride jbi.

I haven't had much time to play with the bike but I have installed the Yamaha GYTR +8.4oz flywheel and replaced the shift stopper in the trans with an updated part. I'm trying to spread out the parts shopping so right now it's just the critical items to get the bike up and running. Down the road I plan to install a Boyesen Rad Valve, Lectron jett-less carb, and maybe an Eric Gorr 300 kit. I'll throw some more pics up soon.

tmp_307-IMG_20170324_1617517641554381645.jpg

tmp_307-IMG_20170330_230443128661818767.jpg

tmp_307-SDI_Elite_Free_Piston__81978.1325059084.500.6591324602348.jpg

tmp_307-IMG_20170328_1749167631315737911.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The bike is finally coming together, it turned into a full ground up rebuild, minus the engine. The top end has low hours on a new cylinder, piston, etc. I checked all the bearings and replaced wheel bearings and linkage bearings. The steering was recently done and the swing arm checked out too. I had to take the subframe in to repair a broken mount for the upper chain roller, and unfortunately I forgot about it until this Tuesday so it's the one thing holding me up for the re-assembly.

Here's a run-down of parts:

Goldentyre GT216AA front, GT232 rear

Supersprox/Vortex f/r sprockets 14/51 (1 tooth up on the rear)

Primary Drive Gold X-Ring Chain

TM Design Chain Slider/Guide/Powerlip Rollers & Case Saver

Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe, PC 296 Silencer (USFS Sparky approved)

Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards w/ Cycra Solutions Mount

Odi Emig lock-on grips

Enduro Engineering Skid Plate

tmp_907-IMG_20170413_1504301282084255406.thumb.jpg.e55b504910b6b7d2e7c41e2ead11ab88.jpgtmp_907-IMG_20170413_150442922453284022.thumb.jpg.c19ee83068bca7e62c54578942428587.jpg

This is a before picture from the previous owner

tmp_907-182295495457.jpeg.e18f725f0b7e41a9b2df6e5fe0e26540.jpeg

• Administrators

NIce parts list!  I use the rear Supersprox and a hard primary sprocket on the XR650R, negligible wear despite single track, open desert and highway use...

TIG repair on that upper roller tab of the sub-frame?  Good you caught that one!

• 1 month later...

Not sure on welding method used for the subframe, all I know is that they made it look real nice and I was able to install the upper roller.

I took the bike out towards the end of April for it's first ride. All I can say is wow. Awesome power, awesome traction, it's a blast to ride. Haven't been out since though, not on the YZ anyways. The following day we went snowbiking.

I ordered a Pro Moto kickstand and MSR clutch lever/perch recently, and I've been looking at the new Rekluse Radius X auto clutch. I never used an auto clutch until a month ago, they sure are nice.

• Administrators

53HiHood...Let us know how the auto clutch and MSR lever perch work out...The Pro Moto kickstand should be an improvement...If the sub-frame is aluminum alloy, the roller tab weld should be GTAW/TIG.  TIG actually looks similar to properly done gas welding; for appearance sake, TIG weldors strive for the uniform "stack of dimes" look...Sounds like you found the right repair shop!

Weather's getting more summer-like but higher altitude snow lingers.  You have the best of both worlds at this point:  lower elevations for riding your freshened YZ, higher elevations for the Honda snow bike conversion.  Will you leave the CRF in current snow form now that you have the YZ250 to ride on dirt?

Moses

I mounted the Pro Moto kickstand, enduro engineering skid plate, MSR clutch perch, IMS Pro Series pegs (same model that I'm running on the Africa Twin), and Acerbis frame protectors. I hope one day I'll have spent as much time riding this bike as I have working on it. I love working on it though.

I was planning on leaving the CRF450R in snow gear but I just picked up a Rekluse Z-Start Pro auto clutch that a friend found online for me, and I'm anxious to try it out. I also am planning to have some extensive work done to the engine and transmission before next snowbike season, so I might as well get some hours on it before winter.

tmp_25257-51181379101273.jpeg

tmp_25257-51211729336030.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I still haven't had a chance to ride the bike since April. I finally got a day off (so I thought) last week but was called back in for multiple lightning fires in the wilderness. I just installed the new Rekluse Radius X clutch too. Another month and a half and I'll have my life back. Until then it's work work work. I think I've had 3 or 4 actual days off since June. Here's a picture of Mt Rainier from my last recon flight.

IMG_20170812_102207184_HDR.jpg

• Administrators

53HiHood...Thanks for your service to our environment and wild lands!  Your photo says it all:  America is beautiful and worth protecting its great outdoors and public lands...You captured this all in the photo...

Moses

• 4 weeks later...

Still no time to ride the bike. The fires have grown to a combined 50,000+ acres and it'll be snowing before I'm done. So much for a summer full of riding.

IMG_20170829_150323490.jpg

This picture is from the top of Chinook Pass at the Mt Rainier NP entrance looking East.

• Administrators

The losses this summer have been astounding:  Montana, California, throughout the Northwest, including the Columbia Gorge.  When this fire season ends, you'll have that long overdue break and decompression time.  Keep me posted, there may be room for some riding...

Thanks for your public service and dedication to protecting our lands!

Moses

• 1 year later...

I never did post back about the Rekluse Radius X. It is an amazing clutch, the best upgrade I’ve done to any bike. I can go out and ride more technical terrain and really challenge my abilities and the bike is impossible to stall. It’s a real confidence builder and I wish I would have tried the Rekluse coolaid years ago.

I did add the Boyeson Rad Valve back in late 2017, it seems to make the bike run cleaner, more responsive, at all rpm’s. It definitely has a more crisp top end. This past summer I added an Acerbis desert tank, now I just need to get out to ride enough to burn all that fuel. All in all, this is a great bike and the whole combo really seems to be working with the clutching, tires, fueling, exhaust. It runs great. My buddy with the XR wants to make a Moab trip this spring, I would love to but time is always scarce for me.

• Administrators

Wow, thanks for the update!  I've been in a dialogue with a local KTM 250 owner who is considering that clutch.  He has the older technology Rekluse and likes it a lot.  I'll share both of your findings, the Boyeson Rad Valve also sounds impressive!

The Moab trip with bikes would be fun, I've considered doing it many times, talking myself out of taking an XR during Easter Jeep Safari, which for me is always a "work week".  On that note, I would avoid sharing trails with the 20K people who flood Moab for EJS, the rates for lodging and food get inflated badly during the EJS week.  City Market holds to normal pricing for those camping out;  the market is part of Kroger's chain and deserves a plug!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Have you been riding the Honda snow bike this winter?  The snow pack at Squaw Valley is huge, annual rate of snowfall in the 50-foot range for the Sierra, cold temps holding, fortunately, or we'd see major flooding.  Spring runoff will be touch and go.  Squaw expects to stay open to July 7th this year! 

Watching your pattern (which is sometimes ours), you've gotten clobbered in the NW.  Our old hometown of Oakridge had a week of major power outages, Highway 58 closed for days...