Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'e-brake cable'.
Specs: 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0L with 32RH transmission Background: I was driving per usual and after about 25 minutes of being on the road my Jeep began to accelerate on its own and the throttle felt like it was stuck all the way open. It was early, and thankfully there weren't many cars on the road so I kinda blew through an intersection and managed to get off of a main road into a parking lot. I should mention here that I had to ride the brakes while the vehicle was accelerating in order to keep it under control, which I know isn't good for any engine/transmission. I put it in neutral and pulled the parking brake until I was able to get the vehicle to stop. I shut it down and after catching my breath, fired it back up in neutral. It acted like i was flooring it while I wasn't. I assumed that the throttle cable had gotten stuck open somehow, but when I popped the hood I noticed that it was actually the tv cable that had come detached. I popped it back on, and my revving issue got under control, but when I began driving i noticed that the Jeep would top out at around 2500-3000 RPM and roughly 33 mph. At first I thought I was stuck in limp so I pulled the battery negative and tried again—no luck. (I later learned that this vehicle does not have a limp mode.) I decided that I was going to stop screwing around with it and put it in a parking spot—that's when it completely died....At that point I said screw it and had it towed to a local shop. At the shop: The power loss/ crank no start was diagnosed as a CPS and the jeep fires right up now. The problem is that it still gets limited out at around 2500 RPM and doesn't go over 33 mph in any drive gear BUT does rev as high as you please while in park/neutral. The mechanic has run every computerized diagnostic available, tested the back pressure and assured me that the cat isn't clogged, and is still unsure how to resolve the problem. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up having to just have it towed back to my house to do the rest of the trouble shooting, but I'm not sure what could be wrong with it. All I can think is that when I had to ride the brakes as to not die in the intersection that something got messed up in the trans, or that I blew a seal/ring in the engine and the power output is limited now. As far as I know the shop has not run a compression test, but it's always one of the first troubleshooting things that I do.