Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ball-joint replacement'.
Found 1 result
I just wanted to share my afternoon endeavor in case anyone else is planning on doing ball joints in the near future. The vehicle is a 2007 F150 4x4. I did the simple ball joint check by jacking up the truck and prying under the tire and watching the lower ball joint. At 170k miles I’m impressed with how good of condition they were in, just a slight bit of play. Enough to warrant replacing them. I bought Mevoteck TTX ball joints, they have a great warranty and reviews were great. As always, use jack stands and secure the vehicle from moving before starting. After removing the tire, rotor, and caliper I sprayed penetrating oil on everything to be removed and then rounded up the necessary tools. I removed everything in this order once the caliper and rotor were off: 1. Tie rod end (21mm) 2. Upper control arm ball joint nut (21mm) 3. 10mm nut on the end of the axle (under the dust cap on the hub assembly) 4. Hub vacuum plate on back of spindle (3 8mm nuts) 5. Lower control arm ball joint nut (I used a 15/16”, but I believe it is a 24mm) When removing the spindle from the control arms, leave the ball joint nuts threaded on a little to prevent the spindle from falling off as shown in this photo below... I used a small hammer to knock the spindle loose from the control arms like this.... Once I had the upper spindle mount free I pulled the axle out and used a strap to keep it clear of the work area. More tapping on the lower spindle and everything is free. I kept my tire close to act as a good place to set the caliper and spindle... The next two steps are pressing out the old ball joint and pressing in the new one. Here are a few pieces of advice: 1. Do not hammer on the ball joint to break it loose unless yo a very careful to not hit the outer circumference of the ball joint. Doing so will cause damage to the control arm when pressing the ball joint out if the edges of the ball joint become deformed where the snap ring lip is. Ask me how I know. 2. Do yourself a favor and have a good quality ball joint service kit on hand. My Made in China set is garbage and added a lot of time to the job because the body of the press is no longer square and I had to constantly reposition it to keep the ball joints going in and out in a straight manner. The kit also has very few spacers and such, so I had to get creative when pressing in the new ball joint. Once the new ball joint is in lube it up, but don’t overfill it. I took the time to clean out the vacuum hub assembly and applied new grease to the seals, needle bearings, etc. I reassembled in reverse order, starting with the lower control arm to spindle mount.