Search the Community
Showing results for tags '225 dauntless'.
It has taken me nearly 35 years from the moment I fell in love with the willys jeep to finally buy a project Willys and build one for myself! Recently while browsing craigslist I found an add for a 1950s cj3b for $1,500. The pics made it look like a minor rebuild project but of course the guy I got it from did not know much of the history of the jeep. He told me it was half 3b and half M38..... I bought the jeep and trailered it home. After several weeks of soaking the cylinders I was still unable to get the F head 4 cylinder freed up. For the next few weeks I did research on an engine upgrade and settled on a late 90's GM v6 with TBI. While trying to find the right deal on an engine I stumbled across a guy selling jeep parts and turned out he had a Dauntless V6 still sitting in a 1967 CJ5. I bought the engine, flywheel and bellhousing for $400. This engine was also seized up as it had been sitting in a field for several years. I got the engine home and tore it down to the block. The cylinder walls were scored and worn but the block, crank and heads seemed salvable so the block, crank and head went to the machine shop. The body is in very rough shape. If I had the tools and shop space I would probably rebuild/repair the body. Still undecided on the path forward with the body. Other than I pulled it off and striped the frame down. Pulled the T90 and Dana 18 apart and found the transfer case to be in good shape but the transmission was a basket case. I have since rebuilt the transmission and bolted it back up to the transfer case awaiting the motor from the machine shop. I plan to couple the Dauntless V6 to the T90. This will not be a hwy vehicle or a performance vehicle so for now I will stick with this drive train. I found the frame broken just behind left front spring shackle so I repaired the break and fish plated the outside of the frame. And that is where I am at to this point.