1980 Jeep CJ-5 w/304 V-8 Emissions Question

I have a 1980 CJ5 with the factory 304 and T-176 4 speed. I need to make it California compliant. A couple of questions I need answers for.

1) Was there a difference between the Federal and California emissions equipment in 1980?

2) Anyone know of a source for the emissions sticker located on the radiator support. I can't locate the correct V-8 one.

Thankfully it still has most of the original pollution control system in place. All it needs is the sticker and a revert back to a 2-1 exhaust with a Cat.

Calif now requires Calif specific converters but I believe 1980 was before this regulation.

• Administrators

Rinky Dink...Thanks for joining us and posting!  Interesting package, the 304 V-8 offering ended with 1981 CJs, and you have the much improved Dana 300 iron transfer case.  Yes, there is a difference in California versus Federal requirements but more importantly for your purposes, California was an additional certification process at the time your Jeep was manufactured.  The decal(s) would need to be EPA plus California if originally a California-destined vehicle.  

You are only responsible for restoring the OEM emissions system to its original certification level, whether you register the Jeep in California or not.  The decal(s) need to clarify the emissions level/requirements that the vehicle original met when it rolled out of AMC/Jeep.

Do you know whether your Jeep CJ-5 was originally sold in California?  If so, it would have required EPA plus California emissions decals.  I discussed a similar issue with one of our Jeep members at:

You'll find a PDF at that exchange with the VIN number breakdown.  Unfortunately, the level of emissions is not part of the VIN.  Let's begin with whether the vehicle was originally certified as Federal (EPA only) or California (EPA and California).  Research whether the 304 V-8 was sold in 1980 California CJ models.  If not, and if the engine is original as confirmed by the VIN, you have a Federal vehicle and only need to meet EPA standards/decal.  If the 304 V-8 was offered in California CJ models, you'll need to confirm the vehicle's original/certified place of sale.

As a footnote, the AMC/Jeep 304 V-8 did have a 1980 California emissions version.  My resource books do not specify this as a "CJ" application, and the engine was used in the full-size Cherokee and the J-truck as well.  You'll need to dig deeper.

Moses

Hello Moses,

Unfortunately this thing has sat out in the weather for a decade or two without it's hood. The sticker is there, just illegible. I imagine I'll have to search for a 304" pollution control diagram for both Fed and Calif for that year and compare them to the existing P/C equipment on the engine.  The primary issue is the sticker. Without it, it will not pass the visual inspection. I need a sticker, whether Fed or Calif, makes no difference. I believe either would work.

Obviously it came with a Cat. I have looked at the wiring diagram and see no ox sensor. Should I assume it is uncontrolled?

• Administrators

The cat would be a must.  The carburetor on the 1980-81 304 V-8 models would be a non-feedback type.  There would be no need for an O2 sensor.  The 258/4.2L began using O2 feedback for the BBD carburetor with the stepper motor during this era.

My Mopar parts guides only go back to 1981, and they do not show the CJ version of the 304 V-8 (which was rare and not available in California for 1981).  Here, however, are two PDFs of the emission controls and the carburetor used on SJ and J-truck models in 1981.  Note the carburetor tag numbers, the carburetor shown is a 2150 series Motorcraft unit used on 2-barrel V-8 Jeep applications from '81-up with a "compensator" for altitude.  Your carburetor may not have the compensator in 1980, it could be just a 2100 series Motorcraft:

1981 Jeep 304 V-8 2-Barrel Carburetor.pdf

1981 Jeep V-8 Emission Controls.pdf

Check your carburetor's tag number if the tag is still in place and the carburetor looks original.  This could be useful for confirming the engine I.D.  Emission controls should be similar between the CJ and other Jeep applications with a V-8 engine.  Note the equipment in the PDF.  See whether it looks similar to your 1980 CJ 304 V-8.

Moses

I was able to find a PDF of the 1979 Factory service manual.

http://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf

No question it is a Calif build. The most obvious difference is the exhaust manifolds. 49 state has the air injection on the driver side only while Calif has it on both. Calif also has two cats, one mounted on the driver's side down pipe and the second in-line after the "Y."

They also have differing ignition distributors with different part #s. The 49 state has a straight linear advance while Calif has a stepped curve with a final advance a few degrees greater.

The carb is missing it's tag but no doubt it is a 2150 without the compensator. I did note that it's main jets are #53 while the manual shows #55.

I now need to find that stupid sticker.

On a positive note; in my searching I came across a news story stating that a bill has recently passed committee in the Calif state legislature to raise the smog exemption date to 1980! I can only hope.

• Administrators

Rinky Dink...Valuable information and a wonderful resource book for your use!  Nice research, too...Cross fingers on the California exemption date...At least you know which decal you need now.  Let us know how this resolves and thanks for sharing information for others's benefit!

You have either the 2100-2V carburetor, a two-barrel Motorcraft that predates the 2150, or the 2150 with an altitude compensator.   The altitude compensator should be a giveaway.  Let us know!

Moses