• Administrators

I have a tip on how to remove a pilot bushing...Years ago, I was working as a truck fleet mechanic and had a clutch job underway.  The pilot bushing was stubborn and would not come out of the crankshaft.  An older, retired mechanic shared a solution that has served me well since:

1) Pack the crankshaft cavity and pilot bore with grease.

2) Use an old input gear or a steel rod of the same diameter as the pilot bearing I.D.; put on your safety goggles and drive the input gear (nose end) or steel rod into the pilot bore. You can use a sand filled large plastic hammer on the back end of the input gear or a short handled steel sledge on the steel rod's end.

3) The impact force and close fit turns the grease into a hydraulic ram.  Grease drives the bushing out from its backside.

This works especially well if the bushing has a larger O.D.  If the bushing is thin-walled, the task is more difficult.  On a caged needle bearing pilot, this may not work (grease slips past the needles and pressure drops), but it's worth a try.

Moses

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Alcatraz...If it was the 'sixties that you learned this, we may have had the same teacher!  My first professional wrenching job was as a light/medium duty truck fleet mechanic, a role that began in 1968.  I also worked at full-service gas stations throughout my high school years (1963-67).  The pilot bearing tip surfaced in 1969.

Moses