So I did a trans service on my 1997 TJ. Filter new oil etc. I noticed a leak in one of the lines going to the radiator. I bought a kit on ebay. Hosses, lines and hardware, im really not looking forward to messing with the lines on the trans. The leak is further teard the rad along the frame. So my thinking is to cut the lines up to the bad part and put the new lines via brass fittings. That would be so much easier. My delema? I dont know and cant find anywhere the size of the lined so I can buy fittings beforehand. Can anyone help me with this or has anyone ever changed the lines on the trans without having to waste a whole day!? After the second service in 3 mos. and a adj on bands the trans is shifting very well hopefully it will last. Any help on the line size or what im getting into if I bother with lines on tran would be very helpfull. Thx guys... bigwheel53

• Administrators

bigwheel53...Glad the bands and fluid changes made the difference...The tubing should be common 3/8" O.D. if we're talking about the same line.  If you have any kind of caliper, reasonably accurate, measure the tubing at a flat/straight point.

When you say "brass fittings", you mean a compression or double ferrule brass fitting?  Make sure whatever you use has a pressure rating of at least 100-120 PSI installed.  Line pressure to the cooler is regulated pump pressure, which rises under high throttle and kickdown.  In addition to brass, there are stainless steel double-ferrule/compression fittings also available, though they're not common.

Here is a brass fitting catalog.  The PSI ratings are well in excess of what I'm describing for a quality 3/8" compression union or double ferrule brass fitting:   http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/0302_Brass_Fittings_Catalog.pdf

My traditional source for compression unions or double ferrule fittings has been Weatherhead, available through NAPA.  Here is the Eaton brass products catalog, compression fittings begin around Page 46:

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1015.pdf

Moses

Your the go to guy Moses..I really appreciate your suggestions. I would like to do the job properly. Ill have to wait till the lines come and then decide which way I want to go. TJ,s coming along nicely. Trans shifts great, after new fuel pump starts every time first shot. New shocks make for a great ride. Im loving it..thx again..Pete 

• Administrators

Good, Pete...Glad it's working out.  On those cooling lines, strive to keep the original flexibility where it was engineered into the lines.  If tubing or parts become too stiff, the result can be leaks, parts failure and breakage.  Follow the OE guideline here...Enjoy driving your Jeep TJ!

Moses