Jeep Wrangler (1992)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 27 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

20140524_080016.jpg

Dodge Ram 3500 (2006)

Owner: Megatron

Added: 25 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

6-inch XJ suspension lift (Lead).jpg

Jeep XJ Cherokee 4WD Sport 4-door (1999)

Owner: Moses Ludel

Added: 15 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

1988DodgeDakota.jpg

Dodge Dakota (1988)

Owner: biggman100

Added: 22 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Forum Photos (2).jpg

Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Quad-Cab 4x4 S...

Owner: Moses Ludel

Added: 15 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Photo

Why Another I-H 4x4 Pickup and Scout or Scout II Forum?

I-H trucks International-Harvester Scout Scout II I-H truck repairs Scout how-to Scout II how-to I-H truck forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationReno Area...Nevada
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

There are some very good I-H truck and Scout/Scout II forums online!  So, why would you want to join this one?

Well, for one thing, here's an opportunity to start a forum from the ground up, to build the kind of dialogue you like, and to know that there's oversight with credible, well-researched facts!

I have been a staunch I-H truck guy from early-on, having grown up in ranching country with an I-H dealership at its hub.  I know I-H trucks and the Scout from its earliest, slant-four models.  I even know the quirks and foibles of that earlier technology!  

As a footnote, many mature I-H folks know me for the OFF-ROAD Magazine 'Holy Moses!' tech columns in the '80s and '90s, when I fielded endless questions on 4x4s and always included International-Harvester trucks.  My comments once drew the attention of Gale Banks—he puzzled over my staunch support for a 1956 I-H S120 4x4...I had seen these trucks at work in the 'sixties.  

My respect for I-H pickups, the Travelall and the Scout II remain high to this day.  I'd like to hear your experiences and share mine, compare your 'Line Ticket' to others' equipment, even discuss modifications and upgrades—alongside the pure restoration tips and mechanical 'how-to' that many owners seek.

In my view, International-Harvester built some of the best light trucks ever, with in-house and outsourced components that were unrivaled.  These one-off, virtually hand-built light trucks often have no match.

If you join this forum, I've got a wall of bookcases with resource materials on repairs, restoration and technical data for I-H trucks and Scout models...Interested?  I'm ready to talk and share!

Moses

#2 TejasCJ7

TejasCJ7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Texas

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Moses

I just found your IH forum..  I sold my last Scout II that I did a complete nut & bolt off frame resto on.  I was not going to do this again until the CJ7 caught my eye and I could not say NO...

Anyway, I don't have any parts left as all went with the buyer of my 76, but I will post up some pics.  

Everything is new from the ground up, including a compete rebuild and blueprint of the engine, 30 over 196 4 Cyl. that ran like a sewing machine.. DUI distributor was the only mods on the engine,,  the seats are the same Corbeau Moab's that I am going to use in my New CJ7..  the dash was custom with autometer gauges,.,. When it was first done, it had 15" wheels with Super Swampers and it did not take me long to get tired of those tires..so, I sold the wheels & tires in the pictures and then reeplaced the 15" wheels with 16" as they are much more available and cheaper tire choices and used Cooper AT that were almost the same size as the original H78-15..  

Anyway, my Jeep will never be this nice as I am just going for an original driver,,,

TejasCJ&

Attached Thumbnails

• Scout Under hood.jpg
  • Scout V interor .jpg
  • Scout Front Left Side.jpg
  • Painted Frame.JPG
  • Scout Right Rear.jpg
  • Scout Left Side Rear.jpg

#3 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,803 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

Wow, TejasCJ7...I've had a penchant for I-H trucks and the Scout 800 and Scout IIs forever!  Your restoration was truly extraordinary.  If I ever stumble onto a pristine, original 1980 model Scout II with the Nissan turbo-diesel engine, there will be no stopping me!

Your '76 was truly a gem, I have the greatest appreciation for the slant 4 I-H engines (152 and 196), they had all the torque needed to get the job done.  Yours was backed by a truck four-speed with compound low, and the off-road capability (would you really take it there?) could be great.  I've had friends with I-H Scouts, I grew up around the original Scout 80 and 800s at rural Nevada, I shepherded a fleet of light and medium duty trucks that included a half-dozen I-H pieces from the day, and among my all-time favorite pickups was my cousin's last-year I-H 1200 4x4.  Incredible equipment, the best the industry had to offer, I-H was a cut above the rest!

Hate to rub it in...I've had my share of Jeep 4x4s and a variety of Willys/Jeep projects over the years...Took my first driver's license exam in a CJ-5 F-head model...Despite a career that embraced and promoted Jeep, my 4x4 enthusiasm has always included the I-H Scout/Scout II and the Toyota FJ40 models.  The Scout II was the pinnacle of design and engineering for its era.  I-H went after the Jeep utility 4x4 market in 1960 with the modest 152-powered model '80' draft horse.  A decade later, the Scout II redefined utility 4x4s...

Moses 

#4 TejasCJ7

TejasCJ7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Moses

Since you are a IH addict like me, here is some more eye candy..

This is a 75 that we completely rebuilt, engine was 345 +.o30, Isky Cam, Alum Intake, Holley 600 Vac Second,.,2.5" Duals w/ H pipe, complete stock interior with new carpet, floors etc., AC, PS, PB on a 4" EZ Ride Lift on 33X12.50-15 and painted Hot Rodz Flatz Black..  

The Scout went to Brazil to be used on a rancho..  

Came out pretty good..  sounded very Bad A** hence the name Darth Vador :)

Gene 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0501.JPG
  • IMGP0502.JPG
  • IMGP0503.JPG
  • IMGP0504.JPG
  • IMGP0505.JPG
  • IMGP0506.JPG
  • IMGP0507.JPG

#5 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,803 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

All I can say is, "Wow!"  You did some fantastic work on these Scout II 4x4s.  Really like the color treatment...

These vehicles were so underappreciated.  I grew up at rural, small town Nevada, and the Scout/Scout II was much a part of the local Reno/Carson City/Gardnerville-Minden and Lake Tahoe scene.  We saw these 4x4s work hard, recreate, compete in hill climbs and races, you name it.  Texas apparently was a similar stomping ground for 'Binders!

What made you move on to the Jeep CJ, Gene?  Were parts becoming an issue for these Scout IIs?  High restoration costs?

Moses

#6 TejasCJ7

TejasCJ7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:36 AM

When I sold the Tan Scout in the first pictures, I was not going to buy another old car or truck..

Then I saw the CJ ad and it was in Houston so I went to look because of the mileage...figuring it would not take much to make it a weekender/putt around open 4WD..And you know the result of that..

I stiill have an addiction for Scouts and if a deal popped up I would probably go look at it..  Also looking at a CJ8 in the area that is partially redone to stock and may be available.

With that said, the CJ is coming right along..  got new valve seals in, ZERO leak down by the way and the inside of the engine is clean as a whistle.  All smog stuff removed, Tranny shifting correctly, all fluids changed..  Drives very well..

I will be driving it this weekend..

Glad you liked the Darth Vador Scout.  little things like buffing color off the emblems so it would be all silver against the Flat Black really enhanced the look..

Thanks again for a great site,

Gene

#7 Moses Ludel

Moses Ludel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,803 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:30 AM

Like you hint, Gene, we've got the 'Binder bug!  Lots of history, great equipment, rural and commercial roots, industrial strength engines, innovative utility...I could go on!

We have travel trailer pulling plans, and what keeps me in the Ram 3500 (bought new in '04, an '05 model) is the beam front axle and the Cummins engine.  Otherwise, I'd be more than content with a pristine 392 or 345 V-8 powered I-H 1200 series 4x4.  Last of the bunch were the best, an open-knuckle front axle, disc front brakes, power steering and the pearls in the I-H Line Ticket offerings!

Moses

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: I-H trucks, International-Harvester, Scout, Scout II, I-H truck repairs, Scout how-to, Scout II how-to, I-H truck forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)