1967 Jeep CJ-5 Transmission Mount Alignment

MOSES, I HAVE A 1967 CJ-5 V6 AND AM DOING AN OFF FRAME GO THROUGH AND  PUTTING THE TRANNY AND TRANSFER  CASE BACK ON THE ENGINE. THE TRANSFER CASE AFT ATTACHING POINT WON'T LINE UP WITH THE INSULATOR POCKET IN THE CROSS MEMBER.  I CAN FORCE IT OVER ENOUGH TO LINE UP, BUT THEN THE LOWER MOUNT WON'T LINE UP WITH THE HOLES IN THE CROSS MEMBER.   THE ORIGINAL INSULATOR WAS SMALLER AND KAISER MADE A 3/16 FLAT STOCK PIECE BENT INTO AN "S" SHAPE WITH TWO HOLES. I FOR THE CROSS MEMBER AND ONE FOR THE TRANSFER CASE. I CAN FABRICATE THE S PLATE, BUT THE TRANSFER CASE STILL RESTS ON THE INSULATOR BOLT. NOT GOOD.  #2. MY TRANSMISSION SETS 1.5 INCHES TO THE LEFT OF CENTER. THE ENGINE BOLTS, IN NEW MOUNT BUSHINGS, ARE NOT TORQUED YET.  AS I NOW LIVE IN FLORIDA AND DON'T RUN THE CORRIZO GORGE ANYMORE, DO I NEED THE  INSULATOR FOR LOCAL DRIVING??

FLORIDA SWIFT

• Administrators

Welcome to the forums, FLORIDASWIFT...The alignment has to do with Kaiser's adaptation to the CJ four-cylinder frame when they installed the Buick 225 V-6 engines.  Look at the front engine mounts, you will see that the frame's 4-cylinder mounts are not equidistant to the center-line.  This is a design intent that effects the Buick V-6 installation.  Much of the early V-6 installation (during 1965-67 in particular) looks like an aftermarket engine conversion.  

I would try to emulate the location and height of the transmission/transfer case to keep the original powertrain and driveshaft alignment.  Use your original mount layout as a template.  I like your idea of duplicating what Kaiser engineers did to align the transfer case.  I can visualize a piece of plate that would have holes to align with the transmission mount casting holes and a provision to align with the transmission mount cushion, allowing clearance for the stud(s) while making sure the cushion is in proper alignment.

If there is not a simple or obvious solution, take some pictures and post them here at this forum post.  I'll comment on what I would do to compensate.  Take pictures (cell phone quality with some decent light would be fine) from various angles, we'll discuss this further.  Photos of the front engine mounts would help, too.

Moses