1990 jeep wrangler 4cyl oil spewing issue

lately I've been having issues with my 1990 jeep wrangler 2.5l engine, I think literally squirting oil from somewhere. Its enough to run down the side of the finder! I've noticed the pattern that it does this when its cold out and I don't let it warm up completely. I know that's bad of me but its only sat for 2-3 hours in 10 and under degrees. I suspect the pcv is to blame but I cant find anywhere on how to confirm my suspicions. Ive had great luck on here when I my self am utterly baffled. Any who has had this issue or Moses if you've got any ideas where to look let me know!

pictures to come later

• Administrators

Does sound like crankcase ventilation, your engine's crankcase and valve cover area is pressurizing and not venting.  Obviously, you need to locate the place that squirts the oil, whether the leak is the result of a clogged crankcase system or not.

The 1990 2.5L crankcase does vent to the induction system.  If there is an obstruction, you might find the source of oil leakage in the area of the vent hoses or the CCV system.  (It's acting like a stuck PCV valve.)  The problem would be two-fold:  1) engine not venting correctly and 2) there's a place for oil to come out under pressure.  My guess is that the valve cover may be the source of the oil leak with this kind of volume.  It's high enough on the engine and over the height of the fenders.  

If the leak is at the valve cover, check out why the valve cover is pressurizing and not venting...At this point the valve cover gasket or the oil fill grommet is likely damaged.

Moses

Thank you Moses. That would explain why the oil cap sprung a leak and why even after a valve cover gasket replacement last spring, that also sprung a leak. I want to say the leak is coming from (correct me if I'm wrong) the pcv out or the one on the front of the engine. My question is where do look first?

• Administrators

Check the PCV valve for sure.  Also check the routing of the hoses and inspect the system integrity.  Here is a parts listing and schematic PDF of your 2.5L TBI engine's emissions system.  

Note the PVC valve and the routing of all hoses.  Trace your hoses to make sure there is nothing crossed up!  Make sure there is vacuum where you need it:

1987-90 YJ Wrangler 2.5L TBI Emissions System Parts.pdf

Zoom into the images for detail, it holds well in PDF.

Moses

• Administrators

I would check the Ventilation Valve Filter (#6 in schematic) and PCV (#5 in schematic).  These devices vent the crankcase and valve cover area.  

If the PCV valve is clogged or defective, there would be no vacuum draw in the crankcase or valve cover area; the crankcase pressure would build up and this could cause oil leaks and gasket/seal failures.  If the vent valve filter is clogged, crankcase pressure could build up.  Either or both of these devices may be your problem.

Look over the vacuum hoses and their routing as per the schematic/parts diagram.  Make sure the PCV has manifold vacuum as intended.  Routing of hoses must be right for the system to work properly.

Moses

• Administrators

No restrictions...Blowing through the filter or applying very light compressed air pressure should be enough to diagnose a problem.  Make sure you apply air in the same direction as the engine normally draws air through this ventilation filter.  Do not reverse air flow during the test...This could damage the ventilation filter.

Moses

• 1 month later...

An update on the oil issue is that it still is leaking but now squirting. The actual cause is compression is getting into the crank case and with that filter not in there correctly it caused the oil cap to blow off one time and then the oil spewing issue. I haven't been diving it a whole lot now since I've discovered the compression lose. The cylinders are scored severely