Need a Spare Tire Carrier for an Early Jeep CJ-5

MONTY

Moses...

In your Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual, the spare tire mount that you installed on the 1955 Jeep CJ-5 came from 4WD Hardware. Was that a stand alone item or part of another package?  I have not been able to find one on the 4WD site. I have a 1966 Jeep CJ-5 that I'm going to start modifying, restoring.

Thanks,

Roger

• Administrators

Hi, Roger...Looks like many in the vintage Jeep parts manufacturing realm moved on during the Great Recession...Apparently, the bolt-on, swing away early CJ spare tire racks are no longer available.

If you have fabrication skills, one approach would be using a more "universal" carrier design and building a bracket similar to the carrier I installed on the '55 CJ-5.  I would look at Bestop, Smittybilt and Rugged Ridge products.

Omix-ADA sells the original side-mount tire bracket that most of us eliminated.  Though they look very original, a side mount spare is not useful on tight trails or with oversized tires.  The side mount generally led to tub damage.

I have a Warn swing-away mount on the rear (Warn) bumper of our XJ Cherokee.  I modified it with a better tapered roller bearing pivot.  By the time you buy this assembly and modify it as I did, the cost would be exorbitant.  For pivot ideas, see http://www.4wdmechanix.com/MIG-Welding-Project-Installing-the-Pivot-King?r=1, there's an .flv video and brief article.

Want to start from scratch with a ball bearing pivot and hardware kit?  This company provides everything but the square tubing that can be readily sourced locally.  This may be the cost effective solution.  Pivot King is no longer in business, and this kit does provide a pivot: https://atozfabrication.com/tire-carrier-swingout-builder-s-kit.html.  

The A-to-Z Fabrication kit is not expensive when compared to the manufactured carriers that run from $400 upward before modifications.  A stick-arc or MIG welder and chop saw or band saw could have a complete carrier together in a few hours.  You could even sublet the raw metal assembly for powder coating if you want that level of finish.

Looking forward to your findings and posts at the forums...

Moses