1990 Jeep wrangler adding air conditioning

I am currently looking into adding air conditioning to my 1990 jeep wrangler with the 2.5l, tbi injected. I wonder if it would be even worth doing so, it gets hot out here sometimes and having the top down is a bad idea. I don't even know if they had ac for the 4cyl with v belts. I have located the vents that line the bottom of the dash that contains some of the ac components. I'm not too familiar with ac work either but my brother is so he will help me. Any one have any ideas or knowledge on these old ac systems let me know!

• Administrators

Sinisterwillys1940...Parts involved with this add-on air conditioning are significant.  I researched, and the 4-cylinder YJ models with 2.5L TBI engines were not factory equipped with A/C.  There was a dealership-installed American Air system available, which utilized a large number of parts from the factory installed A/C.  You would have to find a Jeep YJ Wrangler 4-cylinder donor vehicle with aftermarket A/C to make this conversion.  All of the parts would need to be taken from the donor vehicle and installed on your Jeep.

Your brother would agree that you might be better off finding a current aftermarket air conditioning system that does not involve a lot of under-dash parts and controls.  You might look at street rod aftermarket A/C systems like Vintage Air:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vintage-air&gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rH_fTGwz1a2Al-RSkwNMkcaWRpLiMuHVQFpMwhojcOBoC8mbw_wcB.

Understand that these "kits" are usually just the under dash A/C unit with controls.  You still need the A/C compressor, brackets, hoses, belt(s) and a lot of other under hood components.  This Nostalgic Air kit comes close, but you still need a bunch of factory A/C parts to complete the installation, and the 1987-90 2.5L TBI engine is not one of the applications listed.  (1991-up 2.5L MPI applications are available, but they're likely much different with their serpentine belt drive system.)  So there would be improvising on this $1000 package: http://www.quadratec.com/products/15005_10X_A_PG.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rSXYQyigTuEr_oCwVuMj6pcM5nkFJq8vNgUxKbHSf5hoCiVbw_wcB.  Look up the additional parts needed for one of these kits.

The best approach would be finding a 2.5L TBI YJ Jeep donor vehicle with a complete A/C system.  You would need everything related to the A/C installation, all items that your vehicle does not have now.  When that's done, I would be very concerned about the performance of the Jeep under the constraints of air conditioning.  Power steering is enough of a drain.  Starting with the alternator and power steering pump, then adding an A/C compressor for operating when the climate is hot, you're asking a lot.  You'll need additional engine cooling if you make this conversion, and this would involve a radiator that can handle the added condenser heat and cool a laboring engine.

If your brother is good at improvising, there may be a smaller car A/C system that could be retrofitted, from a vehicle with an engine in the 2.0L to 2.5L range.  Retrofitting from another brand or model vehicle would involve fabricating, including welding together a suitable A/C compressor bracket and other chores.  He may have ideas.

Maybe there are owners of 2.5L TBI Jeep YJ Wranglers that know the performance drain of air conditioning.  Please comment here! 

Moses

• 2 weeks later...