Hello, this is my first post

I've done a fair share of trouble shooting and research and cannot figure this out.

94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. 5.2 v8

I've attached a video. 

Basically, the jeep will roll over and not start. If I leave the key in the power on position for 5-10 minutes, the relay box will start clicking like that. It changes rhythm and sound. Then stops clicking. The jeep will start and run fine.

If I turn it right back off it will usually have to sit with the key in on position again and do the clicking before it will start again. Albiet, the second time it only takes a couple minutes to be ready to start.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My_Movie_12.mp4

• Administrators

Welcome to the forums, Craigxs...Very pleased that you shared this detailed video!

I would check for engine and troubleshooting codes (TDCs or MIL stored).  This is OBD not OBD-2, but a simpler scanner tool is still available.  AutoZone will even read codes for free...In this case, I want to review any stored codes.

The problem could be emission control or EVAP related, though the clicking is disturbing.  Is this an isolated relay doing the clicks?  Or a noise other than relays?  It's so audible, we need to break down the source.

The PCM itself is poor at self-interrogation if it has problems; however, the stored codes (don't disconnect the battery before reading codes!) can be very valuable.  Start there, and let's work through this issue.

Moses

At this moment the Jeep is in a auto shop. Today is day two and they haven't figured it out.

The only code I got from it was 12. I got this code by turning the key on and off three times and counting the check engine blinks. Which is saying the battery has been disconnected from the PCM in the last 50 key cycles. I've never disconnected the battery..

I've tried swapping around the relays while it's doing the clicking thing. I also tried pulling the automatic shutdown relay while it was clicking. The clicking continued as if I didn't swap, or disconnect any relays.

• Administrators

Craigxs...I would check the battery for opens or a dead cell.  With the battery safely removed from the Jeep, have the battery load tested with professional equipment.  An open or short, a bad cell or other issues could be creating this problem.

Simpler issues include lack of continuity (poor surface contact between the battery cable terminals and battery posts), poor or loose grounds between the engine/alternator, body ground or battery negative, or other causes of a voltage drop, including issues at the ignition switch or starter circuits.  Available voltage could be too low for the PCM or starting circuit.  Bad hot or ground connections could be remedied readily.

Start with the easier trouble prospects before replacing parts needlessly...

Moses