HI! Moses,

Im here again to ask you  about my problem with my ax 15 swap, we change the transmission 42 RE to ax 15 , now we have this problem  me and the mechanic  cannot solve this problem  ,   when he push the clutch pedal   engine at idle  trans will not engage to 1st gear . we shut off the engine engage  1st gear  car on jack  it engages  wheel turning  clutch pedal is depress  wheel continue turning  shift to neutral it will not disengage  very hard., as if the clutch press is not moving. i read to some forums on the jeep who converted 42RE to ax 15  they advice to machine  the ax 15 output shaft  about 3/4 of an inch. im using the internal release bearing as i dont have the external type that needs to change the bell housing. what  will i do first  is to use this internal release bearing  for the car to run and later if i have money ill buy the external with  a  bellhousing for this external slave  cylinder., what will be your advice about this trouble that we are encountering please Help us.do i need to cut out 3/4 in the output shaft. Thank you.

Mario Bedayo

• Administrators

Mario...If the transfer case fits up to the AX15 transmission without the AX15's output shaft bottoming in the transfer case input gear, that is not the problem.  Measure the stick-out length of the AX15 output shaft and compare this with the depth of the transfer case's input gear splines.

It sounds like either: 1) the clutch release bearing is not moving the clutch cover fingers far enough or 2) the AX15 transmission input gear/pilot nose is sticking or binding in the crankshaft pilot bearing.  If the release bearing is not moving far enough, check the clutch pedal rod clearance at the clutch master cylinder piston and bleed the hydraulic clutch release bearing.  Make sure the pedal pushes enough fluid into the release bearing to move the cover fingers far enough.

Moses 

• Administrators

Mario...The nylon straps hold the release bearing together during installation.  Once the hydraulic release bearing is installed against the transmission, you unstrap the nylon straps.  Here is a link to AutoZone's steps on installing a Jeep YJ hydraulic clutch release bearing:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-1987-1995-Repair-Guide/CLUTCH/Hydraulic-Concentric-Bearing-Slave-Cylinder/_/P-0900c1528008ae3f

This is the parts installation sequence.  Follow the steps.  Steps 8-13 cover the hydraulic bearing installation.

Moses

• 2 weeks later...

HI! Moses,

How are you?  i ask this question again  as we followed  your  advice  regrading with the internal release bearing  the mechanic told me that the bearing cannot fully press the plate, may i know whats the reason and the remedy for this we bleed the line fluid is solid that come out from the bleeder line , we ran out of ways  its you that can help us. please advice us what to do. My thanks to you.

Regards,

Mario Bedayo

Philippines.

• Administrators

Mario...If the hydraulic release bearing is new and not leaking (seals good), the only other need is enough fluid volume from the master cylinder.

Make sure that when you release the clutch pedal, the clutch master cylinder pushrod retracts all the way.  There should be a slight amount of play between the clutch master cylinder pushrod tip and the clutch master cylinder piston.

If there is not enough play, see if you can adjust the clutch pedal height to allow for full movement of the pushrod.  When the pedal depresses to the floor, there must be enough master cylinder piston movement to provide the fluid volume needed at the release bearing.  The piston travel must push the right amount of fluid into the hydraulic release bearing.

Be certain that the clutch master cylinder is not leaking internally.  If the clutch master cylinder seal does not trap the fluid, the fluid will bypass within the clutch master cylinder and leak past the internal seal.  If this happens, too little fluid will be available at the hydraulic release bearing when you depress the pedal.

Another possibility is that the clutch cover's release fingers are too low or misaligned.  This can be caused by clutch installation issues like the clutch disk being installed backward.  Make sure the clutch disk hub/center is facing the right way.  Compare this with parts diagrams or online illustrations and photos.

Moses

HI! Moses , We will check on that, im planning to change it later to your recommendation  using the external slave  but it will cost me an additional amount .   what do you suggest i like this jeep as i know there's only one jeep...   can  use the   ax 15 bell housing with external slave us by dodge dakota  , how about 94-2004 wrangler 4.0  external slave bell housing  i understand  i will change the  the input shaft  external  bearing retainer?  i see in the ebay for sale . do you know where i can buy in cheaper price  this  parts  second hand so that i can save? Again  Thank you for your time. Sorry that i bothered you a Lot.

Mario Bedayo

Philippines.

• Administrators

1994-up parts will work, Mario.  The AX15 transmission does require a front bearing retainer change to accept the mechanical release bearing.  You also need the release arm and pivot, the external slave type bellhousing and an external slave cylinder, plus the hose/tube that carries fluid from the clutch master cylinder to the external slave cylinder.

Make sure your clutch master cylinder will work with the external slave cylinder and fluid tube.  The tube comes with the external slave cylinder.  Here is an example of the complete hydraulic system for a YJ or TJ Wrangler, sold as a unit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-cc649002?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dorman&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ee_BRD3hK6x993YzeoBEiQA5RH_BOL2pOWP-0cautZ3yXydyuL0tc646Grj1vPTc6Ypi1UaAlJ38P8HAQ.  This may not fit your ZJ.  It's just an example of the parts.  This application fits at the left side of the bellhousing.  Not sure which bellhousing you plan to use.

Moses

Hi ! Moses ,

How are  you?  i have found  a low price  bell housing but its AX5 2.5 93-2002 wrangler YJ/ TJ  is it  O K to use this ,  or may iknow if i can use this bell housing  for my converstion . please advice  is the bearing retainer  for ax 15 will fit  as im still looking. Thanks.

Regards

Mario Bedayo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Moses ,

This is just to fllow up  or to let you know  that the  ax15 transmission that i swap has the  transfer  case attach. we did not remove the transfer case  np 231. so i think theres no issue  about this..  what do you think?  we just have  the front drive shaft lenghten. so i think theres no bottoning here what can you say. its just a cluch problem  and we ran out  of ideas but we will not give up, i believe theres  always a solution  you... the Guru of Jeep. Thanks..

Mario Bedayo