FS Ford Question

I'm looking at a '71 Ford F-250 4X4,360/4 speed;the motor needs work,but I have an '86 302. What all do I have to change to put a small block in place of a big block? The 302 has a flywheel and clutch on it,and comes with a starter and alternator. I believe the truck has 4.10 gears,and currently has no wheels/tires,but I can fix that easily enough. Will the truck's 360 bell housing bolt up to a small block? That's my big concern,that and will the 360 starter work with the small block flywheel,or will the 360 flywheel fit the 302? I'll plan to replace the release bearing and pilot bushing/bearing. I know the exhaust will need to be modified, Linkage for clutch should be close to a correct fit if the 360 bell housing can stay,throttle linkage may need to be lengthened but should line up well.Not sure about the fuel line,the ignition wiring will have to move from the front to the rear of the engine,and I don't have a clue on the gauge senders and wiring,

I'm looking into this to get something pre-electronics for Winter transportation. I'm goin' back to the basics. I'm also hoping to get a smokin' deal on it.

Speed

• Administrators

I'm not a big buff of the 302, it has a small journal crankshaft and makes good car and light duty truck material but not as rugged for truck applications.  Much prefer the 351-Windsor (not an M or C), a 360/390/428 FE or the big block 429-460.  Your swap would require mounts, a 302 bell housing, flywheel, radiator rework and more.  If the 360 is in bad shape, I'd consider a 351W or big block for an F250 4x4.  The easiest route with your existing 360 parts work be an FE (360/390/428) big block.

Moses

I got the 302 just because the guy was moving and ran outta room in the truck for it. Sounds as hard as I thought it'd be to put a 302 in it.  I THINK I know where to find a 390,but it's a builder and the owner wants big $$ for it. As I understand it,all that's really wrong with the 360 is somebody broke off all the exhaust manifold bolts,and the owner says the float stuck last time he ran it. It's been 3 or 4 years since it's been run. Might be worth dropping the manifolds off and seeing if I can get the broken bolts removed. That and a carb rebuild could be all it needs.