Hi Moses

heres a pic of the fsj i bought as  donor car for my ute the 6.2l v8 diesel & 727 auto im going to fit into the cj10 also there is a parts car with lots of spares including a 360 v8 & 727 auto the 360 needs a rebuild so ill probably sell that on but ill put a six & the 727 back in this fsj to keep it going after ive put its engine in my ute

it is currently getting 16l per 100 km which is nearly half what the 4.6l in the cj10 uses & it sounds a lot better to

it has new rotors & drums so ill scrounge those to

if it wasnt so rusty around the roof i would keep it but its life is short but i will slow its deterioration down with a bit of body work but its not a restorer unfortunatly

ill post pics as we do the engine transplant

cheers  ian

20160811_130836.jpg

• Administrators

Unique, Ian!  I'm curious:  Previous owner installed a G.M. 6.2L naturally aspirated diesel in this FSJ chassis?  727 Chrysler automatic or a G.M. THM400 behind that 6.2L diesel?  Very unusual but functional setup.  Will the 4.6L Jeep stroker six do well with all that FSJ weight?

Moses  

Hi Moses the conversion was done by a company on our west coast called brunswick diesels back in 05 its has spent a lot of time sitting in a shed as its only got 40,000km on it since the conversion when it was fully reconditioned they made a custom tourque converter for the 727 & it all seems to work very well as they are a very reputable company who these days are mostly fitting duramax's into toyota landcruisers & nissan patrols

i think the 4.6 should be ok for the fsj as a lot of them over here were 4.2 manuals from factory the auto may rob some power but i would imagine it will still be quite usable

for now im just enjoying driving it around as it is

cheers  ian

• Administrators

This is very cool, Ian!  The conversion was well thought out.  Too bad the Jeep's body doesn't lend itself to restoration.  Many FSJs fetch a hefty price in the U.S. these days, especially a well-heeled Grand Wagoneer in exceptional original or fully restored condition.

I've considered building a Grand Wagoneer with Dana 60 axles and a 5.9L 24-valve CRD H.O. Cummins ISB engine and 48RE transmission (OD built on the 727 platform, original equipment for our '05 Ram 3500).  The ISB would actually fit well, as you cite, the engine bay was designed for the longer 4.2L inline Jeep six.

Keep us posted on this.  I'm looking forward to the 6.2L engine conversion photos!

Moses

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Moses

i went & picked up the parts car that came with 'Harry '( thats what the fsj is affectionately known as) its a shame its body is even worse because its a limited & has all the fruit & i love the colours looks good in the pics but the rear end is rotten

i will be putting the leather seats in thow & should be able to get enough patch panels from the roof & gutter sections to restore harry 

ive become quite attached to this car already i dont often get this kind of attachment i mean ive got a 70 dodge challenger ive restored with 600hp+ & i have little interest in it but ill drive this old jeep every day every where i go just something about it

how weird is that i buy it for a donor car & fall in love with it looks like the cj10 will be keeping its 6 cylinder petrol for a while

20160911_115136.jpg

20160911_115147.jpg

• Administrators

Fully understand the attachment, Ian...My wife still prefers our 1987 Jeep FSJ Grand Wagoneer to all other Jeep models we've owned.  Unfortunately, we sold the 'Grand...

The wheelbase on the FSJ Cherokee and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer hits the mark.  These vehicles have a wide track width for safe and predictable handling plus a unique, short enough wheelbase for maneuverability.  Beam axles with track and sway bars...Ride quality was equal to or better than any other 4x4 SUV built at the time...World Class!  That's the attraction...

Moses

took harry out for a fishing & camping weekend with the local angling club i belong to we actually caught fish this time it was a good weekend all the gear in the back & off we went it sounds awesome thundering through the tracks big lazy thumping v8 

i believe you are right about the ride being world class i would even go as far as to say world leading when they first went into production as the range rover didnt get produced until these beasts had been in production for 5 years or so & nothing else would come close till the nineties

cheers  ian

20160917_171356.jpg

20160917_171336.jpg

20160917_171332.jpg

• Administrators

What a great time, Ian, just the right 4x4 for the job, too!  I just posted our trip to Bodega Bay, California at the magazine.  (See at the Home Page video slider right now:  www.4WDmechanix.com.) We could superimpose our two ocean backdrops!

These Jeep FSJs have become cult vehicles over time, people realizing the far-reaching design of the chassis, body and powertrain...I recall the earliest Kaiser Era J-trucks and Wagoneers rolling off transport trailers at C.O.D. Garage (Jeep, Chevrolet and Buick dealership at Minden, Nevada) while I was in high school.  With the introduction of the AMC/Rambler engines (I-six and V-8), and later the Buick V-8s, the 'sixties Gladiator and Wagoneer became a sensation at Carson Valley.  Ranchers, townsfolk and recreationalists thought the Wagoneer and especially the "Super Wagoneer" were the most versatile and elegantly optioned 4WD SUVs around.  Fortunately, AMC/Jeep continued the tradition from 1972 onward with its own engines.

I'm all about fishing, glad you are, too...Healthy pursuit and great food!

Moses

• 1 month later...

Hi Moses

ive been adding a few things to Harry it now has a roof rack ,2 awnings ,a 42" light bar ,9" led spotties ,a winch ,10 disc stacker & an arial & craddle for the mobile phone for better reception up next will be the dual battery system & fit out the back

its done the pinion seal in the rear diff theres a little bit of play in the bearing so i think that best be my next priority

cheers  ian

20161107_074826.jpg

• Administrators

Harry's doing what he does best, Ian!  

Pinion seal can be replaced without fanfare if this is the original Dana 44.  Re-torquing the flange nut may take up the pinion bearing play at the factory torque setting (210 ft-lbs or 271 N.m).  This should be a shimmed pinion bearing design without a crush sleeve...Use a new, self-locking pinion nut...After tightening the yoke/flange pinion nut, there should be no perceptible endplay at the pinion shaft...Otherwise, it's take apart time, you know the drill!

Moses 

• Administrators

Ian...Ah, the J-truck/CJ Model 20 AMC axle approach for your model...There is a "collapsible spacer" (crush sleeve).  Pinion depth is set with shims.  A new crush sleeve/collapsible spacer is always recommended when re-torquing the pinion nut.  

A caution:  Do not over-tighten and crush the new sleeve too much, you cannot back the pinion nut off if it is over-tightened, another new crush sleeve is required.  A crush sleeve must always place high spacer tension against the backside of the bearings.  Use of a new pinion nut is always wise, I also use Loctite 271 Red on the nut's threads for insurance.

The nut is carefully tightened to the correct pinion shaft bearing preload of 17-25 in-lbs rotational torque with a resistant (new) collapsible spacer.  To get an accurate rotational torque reading, I do the pinion preload with the ring gear and carrier removed from the axle.  This requires sliding the axle shafts outward and removal of the bearing caps.  Do not misplace or lose track of the differential carrier bearing shims and their locations when removing the ring gear carrier assembly.  If you keep the shims sorted out, you can readily restore carrier bearing preload and the ring gear backlash.

Have fun!

Moses

• 1 month later...

Hi moses

ive got it sorted out there was another problem when i opened it up the pin through the carrier was coming out & started hitting the back of the pinion so i welded a washer over each end so it cant come out again this saved me from having to open the locker which was proving to be impossible with the tools i have also i replace all bearings which meant the original shims were incorrect fortunately the kit i bought has shims so i was able to set it up it is now quieter than it was at speed but still make a little noise at low speed

the kit i used was the motive gear kit from summit racing it came with crown wheel bolts too but theyre not needed

cheers  ian

• Administrators

You're resourceful, Ian, but that's no surprise!  Actually, the new bearings, if you reuse the original shim stack heights and placements, generally do not alter the settings.  That's a prime reason to keep track of shim locations and their thicknesses...at least a place to start.

Bearings of the same part numbers, if from quality sources, are most often a dead ringer size-wise.  If the axle was set up properly in the first place, the unworn (new) bearings will restore clearances or the preload, often making the job easier with less fuss around shim stacks and tests.

Proof of fit on these axles is always the ring-and-pinion tooth contact pattern.  If your bearing preloads and tooth pattern are good, you're golden!  

Not disturbing the pinion depth or pinion bearing preload can speed the process along.  Matching the original pinion shim thickness and shim locations will often make this much easier, especially if the axle has never been rebuilt.  The original build on the axle is generally set up properly.

Cheers at the Holidays, Ian!

Moses

• 2 months later...

Hi 4x4 Freakie

thanks for the compliment the light bar i have is a 42" illuminator they are available through an aussie supplier called 4wdsupercentre.com.au they have heaps of gear at great prices but im not sure if they ship international

cheers  ian

• 5 months later...

HI Moses ive just fitted a spartan lunch box locker to my spare rear diff as the 1 in the car began to get a little noisey & the air locker stopped working i think the noise may be due to slight damage to the end of the pinion gear when the center shaft came out of the locker & chipped some teeth last time

so rather than much about any more with it im going to put my spare diff in had it apart today & fitted the spartan it all appears to be in good condition no excessive wear or play even the bearing are all good so ill just fit it as is all seal are fine to "so if it aint broke dont fix it"

sorry didnt think to take picks while i was working on it

cheers  ian

ps ill be going on another offroad adventure in a month  ill load some pics of that when i get back its the holland track (aka john holland way) that ill be doing it was originally a supply route to the goldfeilds (kalgoorlie) from the coast most of it has become roads nowbut 1 section still remains a track (4x4 only)

• Administrators

Ian...The John Holland Way trip sounds exciting!  Your FSJ should be in good shape for the run.  Can't wait to see your pictures, they're always exciting...looking forward!

Let us know what you think of the Spartan differential...

Moses

• 5 months later...

Hi Moses 

just got a new injector pump for Harry something went wrong with the governor so i just bought a new unit they are cheap enough $850 aud delivered figured it wasnt worth messing with the old 1 for that so thats todays job this replacement unit is a delphi instead of a stanadyne but as long as it work i dont care what brand it is

ok i better go & get to it

cheers  ian

20180208_062821.jpg

20180208_062835.jpg

well thats all done & running like a clock nice easy job took a little while for the new pump to prime & i changed the fuel filter while i was at it it was clean but still a good habit to have

if you look at the back of the block in the valley you can see the distributor blank off so it must be a multi purpose block i knew the bellhousing bolt pattern was sml block chev so i guess it is a sml block with different internals & heads etc

cheers  ian

20180210_074922.jpg

20180210_074929.jpg

20180210_081954.jpg

20180210_082003.jpg

20180210_082013.jpg

20180210_103201.jpg

20180210_123619.jpg

• Administrators

Ian...Pleased that you have this solved, the $850 (Aus) was well spent!  The original, infamous GM attempt at a diesel was the 350 V-8.  This was derivative of Oldsmobile castings/parts and had visible signs.  As you surmise, your 6.2L must be a spin-off block design although the heads look more like 427/454 Chevrolet types.

What do you think of the 6.2L naturally aspirated diesel?  They were reliable though not world beaters without a turbocharger, but Gale Banks turned them on with aftermarket turbocharging.  This was the original HUMVEE engine, naturally aspirated, as well.  The 6.5L was an improvement, especially the turbocharged L56 design, we had a '94 Suburban 3/4-ton 4WD test vehicle (new) with that engine for a year, a great performer that never got over 17 mpg with the 4.10 gears I requested.  Might have been happier with 3.73 gearing.  I did like the power, the engine performed very well.  Your FSJ should have tall axle gearing, which might make the 6.2L much better on fuel.  You'll see what the fuel/distribution pump does for mileage.

Great photos as usual, very detailed!

Moses

Hi Moses

i do like the 6.2 like you say no world beater but a good work horse i had thought about a turbo but didnt get to serious as i didnt feel the spend was warranted as for fuel usage fully loaded for our holland tack trip i checked it on the way up there just for curiosity & it was getting 18 l/100km so that converted to 13mpg not so good now ive converted to mpg but we were heavy & had gear on the roofrack making more wind resistance & averaging 110kph (65mph) once we hit the track & were driving slowly it was only using about 20l per day it is generally better when not loaded up for daily running if i drive easy around 15l/100km still not great but its way better than the cj10

this engine was a HUMVEE engine in a previous life so its got a little more power & torque than the civilian version i did expect to notice a slight loss of power with the new pump but it seems the same but a bit better throttle response this is probably due to wear in the old pump

cheers ian

• Administrators

Hi, Ian...Sounds like you have a good handle on the 6.2L.  Given its unknown internal wear and previous life in a HUMVEE, the non-turbocharged approach remains prudent and best for the long haul.  Boost increases heat, if we force more fuel into our diesel engines, the pyrometer soars.  Turbos are a great way to compensate for altitude, though.

I notice with our Ram/Cummins that vehicle speed, wind resistance (i.e., lift kit, big front bumper and way oversized tires, etc.) plus load are crucial factors around fuel efficiency.  I use the torque peak as a "redline" whenever possible, and with Hypertech Max Energy tune, that is now 2100 rpm.  Actually, 1600-1900 rpm has always delivered the best fuel efficiency and still does.  When new and in stock form, I could squeeze a consistent 23-plus mpg running unloaded with the engine between 1600 (the OE torque peak point) and 1750 rpm.  A steady 1900 was okay for 20-21 mpg.  Over 1900 rpm, to this day, has the fuel efficiency dropping steadily and dramatically...the faster the crankshaft speed, the greater the fuel use.  

A good friend and former Jeep Engineer, very familiar with the Cummins trucks like mine, says it's all about the physics of wind resistance and speed.  Too much of either will destroy fuel mileage.  I believe him and have stopped looking for a Holy Grail fix to get my mileage anywhere near what the truck/engine did stock...

Try capping cruise rpm to the rated torque peak point for the naturally aspirated 6.2L diesel.  I try to use this formula in each gear as well.

Moses

• 5 months later...

Hi Moses

ive been busy sorted out the rust & painted it in bed liner see 3rd pic for the texture should prove to be good strong bush proof paint ive got to swap the hood yet the other 1 is better & i painted it on tressels

cheers  ian

20180725_160142.jpg

20180725_155955.jpg

20180725_114523.jpg

• Administrators

I like it, Ian!  Good permanent solution for brush scratch resistance, bed liner can often be "repaired" as well.  Smart!  How did you apply it?

Locally, we call brush scratches "Nevada pin striping".  I'm sure you have a ephemism at your region...I really like the look of the FSJ!  The color is a neutral tone, should have more resistance to fading and UV damage.

Moses

Hi Moses

yes we call them bush pin stripes over here

i sprayed it with my spray putty gun about 3mm nozzle 

this type of coating is becoming more popular on vehicles that spend alot of time offroad and it also hides a few sins

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Makes sense, Ian...They're doing this on brush buggies/rock buggies here as well.  I've seen 4x4s on the Rubicon Trail with bed liner "paint jobs".  Very practical on your FSJ that you use for long outback trips!

Moses

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ian, this really looks "purpose built" for the outback.  I like it!   The snorkel is functional and attractive without excessive cost...very innovative.  The 'roo bar, winch bumper and running board combination should prove functional, it's ruggedly built and fits well.  Boards should protect the sills in the deep sand and mud...How much does the bumper/winch with boards weigh? 

You mean business with this outfit.  Nice work!   Your fishing venture will be a lot of fun, with the practicality of catching and eating fresh fish...Have a great time, we''ll look forward to your photos!

Moses

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

Ian, I took the time to play through Graham Cahill's video—twice...This is an incredible work, not to mention a great historical account of the Holland Track.  Cahill has it down.  I do a lot of video, and his one-man-show videography, narrative and post-production editing are first rate.  He uses minimal tools:  a light digital/video camera, an inexpensive drone and a selfie stick!  His sets are really well done, the meals, campfire, his rabbit cookout, the steak, watering holes, the granite, on and on. 

Thanks much for sharing this, the aerials give much more perspective to the vastness of that country...Does Cahill do this strictly as an avocational/recreational thing?  Is he producing videos for sale or rental?  He really should be...The rig is purpose built, he's got the whole package.

So, now I get it.  When you do the Holland Track, you're on for the ride.  Glad your FSJ is in good condition and well equipped.  One motorcyclist and a 4x4 each 11 days make for awfully light traffic!  Wow, what a great venue...

Moses 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Moses

Sorry for the slow reply but ive been working away im glad you enjoyed his video this ausolo series is just what he does  when hes not away working with australian 4wd action he is 1 of the presenters on that show where he is sponsored by isuzu & drives a d-max they tackle some pretty tough terrain at times they are also on youtube just look up 4wd action there are quite a few videos up loaded & quite amusing to

Ive met Graham a couple of times now & hes as friendly & jovial in person as he is on film probably even funnier 

the FSJ aka Harry will be getting a good going over during the next year as ive been offered the opportunity to do a trip through the simpson desert in about 12 months so ill have so same my pennies & make sure Harry is in tip top shape mechanically & electrically so im really hoping it will all come together for me

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian, I sensed there is a professional side to Graham Hill.  He's been in front of the camera quite a bit and shows it.  Nice solo job with the YouTube coverage of the Holland Track.  I'll make a point of checking out the Australian 4WD Action programming...

"Harry" the FSJ has a job cut out!   Your outdoor travels are remote and require a vehicle in top shape—plus lots of planning and preparedness...The Simpson Desert sounds like a helluva run!

Moses

• 1 year later...

Hi Moses just wanted to share this with you its a genuine barn find 1 owner still in its original paint a few small dents & scrapes but not much & very minimal rust I think this variant was for Aus only its called a plainsman & is a base model with the 4.2 6cyl & t5 5spd gearbox I didnt look at the rear diff but the front is a dana 44 & even the tailgate glass is manual crank (1 less thing to go wrong) the suspension is badly sagged the leaf springs are flat & it rides like a boat but the interior is tidy with the exception of the whole cut into the dash on the left hand side i guess he had a 2way radio in there so its in my shed now but will have to wait till ive finished the power wagon

cheers  Ian

20210109_164113.jpg

20210109_164131.jpg

20210109_164151.jpg

20210109_164202.jpg

20210109_164228.jpg

20210109_164240.jpg

20210109_164319.jpg

20210109_164437.jpg

20210109_164453.jpg

• Administrators

Ian, this is unique from a U.S. vantage...It's interesting to see what looks like an FSJ Cherokee 4-door, the T-5 is not surprising though a T-18 might have done well with the weight package.  Overdrive must have been the incentive; did Australia have similar environmental and fuel efficiency standards when this vehicle was built?

The right-hand drive is always fun to see, I have Mopar parts catalogs back to 1981 and get a kick out of the "Export" details.   What year is the chassis?  How much emissions equipment is on the 4.2L Australia version?  

So, a rust-free vehicle with plenty of potential!  Another find for your fleet...

Happy New Year and a healthier year ahead in 2021!

Moses

Hi Moses

happy new year to you also & hopefully 2021 is a better year 

I think the overdrive was an attempt at improving fuel economy as all the other large 4wds available here at that time were available in a diesel it is an 83 model

& emissions wise there wasnt much regulation on 4wds at that time only passenger cars I havent had a close look to see if any emissions equipment was fitted but I think not as the cj10 did not have any & that was an 84 model with the same engine

I had a look at the rear diff that is an amc model 20 same as the v8 versions I havent had a chance to see what ratio they are yet I know the b8 auto's are 373:1 im hoping it will be 410:1 like the cj10 was as I think 5th gear will be a bit too tall if its a 373:1

• Administrators

Good equipment, Ian...I like the Model 20 axle, it's actually a bit more robust than the Dana 44;  most issues were related to the 2-piece tapered axle/hubs on the Jeep CJ applications.  Does the Plainsman have one-piece, flanged rear axle shafts like the J-trucks?

The 4.2L inline six without U.S. emission constraints should move the 4x4 around.  What are your plans for this one?

Moses

Hi Moses, yes the axles are 1 piece on these model 20's

I think the 4.2 will be adequate, my original idea was to transfer all my good bits from Harry into the better body but when I found out how original it was Ive decided to restore it to close to original as I can though I will change the color the pale yellow isnt for me & it needs a full repaint any way & because it is quieter & smoother & has air con it will be easier to get my wife to go on trips with me as she think Harry is too loud, too rough & has no air con & she says I always want to go on a trip when its hot

I will be having a talk to a local sign writer to see if he can duplicate the plainsman vinyl decals ( I know theres no chance of finding new 1's) while they are still intact before I make a start on the panel & paint

• Administrators

Great plans, Ian...I understand the creature comforts and worthwhile effort to share back country with our wives and families.  If the curb weight is not excessive, the 4.2L should be ample.  The Plainsman deserves a restoration.  It's current, stock condition is unusual, this is a true barn find.

I'm working on a book with a lot of historical content.  The Scout 80, 800, 800A/800B 4x4s came up in a segment on the sixties.   I have always had a penchant for I-H trucks and worked on a 23-truck fleet that had several fifties era 'Binders. 

Did International Harvester make inroads at Australia?  Do you see I-H Scouts?  They sold 532,000 units from 1960-80, rugged vehicles, each unique with its own Line Ticket that described the ordered components that made up the vehicle.  There is a strong Scout and Scout II following in the U.S.  Rust was an issue, otherwise these vehicles are great restoration material.  1976-79 Scout II models were available with the SD-33 Nissan ("marine") diesel;  the turbodiesel SD-33T option was sold in 1980 with the one year use of a Dana 300 transfer case.  You'd like the diesel option.

Moses

Hi Moses

IH were certainly here in a big way there were some scouts but they were mainly producing trucks & some harvesters 1 of there most prolific truvks  was the ACCO that stands for Australian Constructed Cab Over & was produced from the early 60's right through until they were badged as Iveco not sure if they still make them but you do see some modern versions on the road today

there other popular truck was a long nose that shared the cab with Dodge this was made through the 60's & 70's they did also have earlier long nose trucks I havent had a chance to look at these closely but as chrysler were not manufacturing locally until 1962 I cant see as there would be any shared parts with Dodge on anything earlier than that

cheers Ian

Hi Moses here are some images of the Aussie built inters the first 3 are ACCO's & the 2 long noses are the 1's that share there cab with the Aussie Dodge truck only real difference being the grille & engine options

I think the scouts were imported they were quite thin on the ground unlike these local trucks which were everywhere once & still plenty on farms still today

T0715-_01_Army-Acco-with-Perkins-Motor-For-Sale-or-Wrecking-Army-Acco-Used-Parts-Available.jpg

3039697.jpg

unnamed.jpg

8715e7102e82b702877ecbd88542bbb9.jpg

Inter truck 4.jpg

• Administrators

This is fascinating, Ian...Thanks for the photos and history...It's interesting to consider how many U.S. manufacturers have a global market.  The Dodge 318 V-8 mentioned is a rugged engine, especially the "polyspherical" head "A" series (1957-67) in the U.S. market version.  These engines perform like a hemi without the dual rocker shafts and massive cylinder heads.  I have rebuilt the 318s, both the A and LAs (1968-up Mopar "small-block" with wedge heads).  This is a great truck engine with a forged crankshaft and other nuances.  Reliable and good torque.  So are all of the I-H gasoline V-8s (304/345/392) although they consume plenty of fuel regardless of the load!

Moses