HI! Moses,

How are you? May i ask again regarding your  recommendation or advice regarding   my present axle gears in my jeep zj 1993 4.0 as i will swap the xj 4.0  ax 15 with np231 TC,  im using now the 31x10.5 tire. please advice  Thanks.

Mario Bedayo

Philippines

• Administrators

Manual transmission axle ratios are usually 3.73 factory.  If you have oversized tires around 31", 4.10 gears would be advisable.  33" diameter tires or bigger, I would use 4.56 gears.

Trust this helps, Mario...

Moses 

Thank you for your reply Moses , another question, since im converting my 1993 grand cherokee 4.0 awd to ax 15 trans. with 231TC  is there any problem that i will encounter when i start to first gear  up to the 5th. is my zj run good or will be sluggish because of my original axles in the zj. ill will be using this car in daily drivng  around town and sometimes in the farm. Please advice thanks.

Regrads,

Mario Bedayo

\Philippines

• Administrators

Mario...What are your current axle ratios in the '93 ZJ Cherokee?  Do you have the Dana 35 rear axle?  If so, is the ratio 3.55 or 3.07?  If either, this is very tall (too high) gearing for a manual transmission.  4.11 would be better with the 31" diameter tires.  3.73 would be acceptable.

If you have the 3.07 ratio, you will need a new differential case to install 3.73 or 4.11 gears.  On the Dana 35 axle, the differential case is the same for ratios from 3.55 up.  3.55 and above (3.73, 4.11, 4.56, 4.88, etc.) require a new differential case plus the ring-and-pinion gears.  If you have a Dana 35 and 3.55 gears now, you would only need a new ring-and-pinion gear kit to install 3.73, 4.11 or 4.56 gears.

By comparison, the front Dana 30 axle uses the same differential case for 3.55 down (3.55 and 3.07) and a different differential case for ratios 3.73 up (3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, etc.).  If you currently have 3.07 or 3.55 in the front Dana 30 axle and want to change to 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 or 4.88, you will need a new differential case plus the ring-and-pinion gear set.

Moses

Moses , Thank you, My axle is 3.73 and i will be using 31 tire , is it ok for this set up zj 4.0 swap 42Re to ax 15 manual with 231 TC,? also  i will using this for daily driving in side the city, what will be the acceleration and speed for this . can i shift it to the fifth gear in highway Driving, what are your commits. i want to stay in 3.73  , i will also  use this for  muddy roads in the farm ... Please avice Thanks.

Mario Bedayo

Moses Thanks,

Do you know where i can buy this  4.10 gears , i understand i will buy 2 set one in the rear,  also ill understand its a direct bolt on.. i trust you as my car will run good in daily driving  and off road. can you give the step by step  for this  swap. all my thanks.

Regards to you and yours,

Mario Bedayo

• Administrators

Mario...I would try the 3.73 gears first.  Changing ring-and-pinion gears is involved and can be costly.  If the 3.73s work, you can save money and a lot of labor.  4.10 is not a huge improvement over the 3.73s.  After the AX15 installation, you can consider how the 3.73 gears work.  

If you were running 33" tires, I would recommend 4.56 gears.  3.73 or 4.10 should work with the 31" tires.

If you need 4.10 gears, they are readily available in the U.S. and worldwide.  Yukon Gear, Revolution Gear, Randy's, 4WD Hardware, Quadra-Tec, Summit Racing, Rock Auto, Mopar, Dana-Spicer dealers worldwide and others offer ring-and-pinion products online and at warehouses.  When you buy gear sets, make sure the set or "kit" includes bearings, shims, a new pinion nut, seals and other parts needed for the gear set installation.  Freight to the Philippines is a concern.  There may be a Dana-Spicer warehouse in your country that sells the gear set kits.  Shop around if the 4.10s are your goal.

Moses 

• 1 month later...

Hi! Moses ,

How are you sir?  i think my pinion gear is 3.73 as in the diff. the number is 52068144  dana 35  , you advice me if im goin to change the pinion gear using  31 tires i will use the 4.10 pinion gears , where can i secure this gears and the part numbers Thank you.

Regards ,

Mario Bedayo

Philippines

• Administrators

Hi, Mario...We discussed this earlier, I suggested (July 29th above) that you try the 3.73 gears with the 31" tires.  4.10s may not be necessary.  If you do want to go through the cost and labor of changing to 4.10 gears, any Dana/Spicer parts source or online outlets like Summit Racing, 4WD Hardware, 4-Wheel Parts, Quadratec, Amazon.com, etc., will have the 4.10 ring-and-pinion gear set kits.

I would try the 3.73s with the AX15 first.  It's not that easy to change front and rear ring-and-pinion gear sets, and cost is a factor as well.  If the Jeep works well with stock gearing and 31" tires, you're good.  Verify that you have 3.73 gears.

Moses