Reducing the Excessive Heat Production of the Powerstroke

Hii

Last day, I have seen that my radiator is leaking.  I have brought radiator stop leak for temporary. But, while I surfed the net for the reasons, I had found in the BC Diesel article https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/overheating-condition-on-my-60l-powerstroke  that overheating in the Powerstroke cause radiator leakage. How can I reduce the overheating of Powerstroke? Is it possible to replace the Powerstroke by own? Will the excessive heat cause bad on the impeller? In the article, it is recommended Bulletproof Diesel Billet Water Pump for better performance, but is there any alternative tips for reducing the heat effect? Any suggestions?

• Administrators

RobertRock...Welcome to the forums!  There is a straightforward way to look at engine cooling:  Each horsepower produces approximately 45 BTUs of heat.  When you demand horsepower from your Powerstroke diesel engine, it responds but making more heat.  For a diesel engine, many install a pyrometer gauge to keep track of heat loads.

To cool your engine properly requires an adequate radiator, water pump, fan, fan clutch and shroud that will handle the BTU load.  Also, the engine and radiator must be free of debris and able to circulate the coolant well.  If you have not cleaned or flushed the original radiator, that would be a place to start.  

The fan clutch may be worn and reducing the fan's efficiency.  Check that as well.  A radiator shop can clean and "rod out" the radiator plus check the radiator for flow rate.  The heater core should be reverse flushed while you have the radiator out.  Install a fresh thermostat of proper degree rating.

You can always upgrade the cooling system if necessary:  a larger flow and higher volume radiator, a performance fan clutch, a better or auxiliary transmission cooler (automatic transmission models) and other approaches.  The transmission cooler is an area worth focusing if everything else works properly.  

A pyrometer gauge would help with driving technique to keep a lid on the horsepower and heat demands...

Moses