Need the Air Pump and Power Steering Brackets for a 1980 Jeep CJ5, 258 CID L6

Greetings from a newbie!

I searched, and have been searching Google, for pictures on what the brackets look like for power steering pump/reservoir and air pump on a 1980 CJ5, 258 CID L6.  I haven't been able to find any reference photos for this setup.

I am swapping out the manual steering linkage and gear for that of power steering, from a 1979 CJ5 with a 305 V8.  The steering gear box was a direct bolt in.  I bought a different bracket off of ebay for the PS pump/reservoir for a 1980 CJ5 258.  I managed to bolt on the pump/reservoir to the engine and it lines up perfectly to the water pump pulley.  I would like to get the air pump back on, but I don't know if it attaches to this 'new' bracket that I bought.  I attempted to use the original air pump bracket but it doesn't seem correct.  

So far, the PS steering linkage looks like it will work, but I need to replace the boot and bearing, which I already purchased.

Does anyone have any reference photos for power steering/air pump combination for a 1980 CJ5?  Do I need different bracketry altogether?

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Bob Plata

• Administrators

da_crusher...Welcome to the forums!  My Mopar parts guides go back to 1981, and there are changes during that period.  The air injection pump system changes to Pulse Air (no air pump), although the air injection pump system is still present in 1981.  I dug deep into the 1981 listings and illustrations, trying to find a pre-Pulse Air set of illustrations.  The part numbers remain but the illustrations are not clear.

I'm counting on our forum members to cast light here.  There are different mounting methods for the air pumps, and someone may have the brackets you need.  Let's put it out there and see what kind of response we get!  

Try posting this as a parts wanted to buy (WTB) topic at our free classifieds:  http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/forum/94-parts-for-amcjeep-cj-fsj-cherokee-grand-wagoneer-and-xj-cherokeecomanche/

If there is no quick answer, I will search further...

Moses

• 9 months later...