• Administrators

We bought our 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad-Cab 4x4 new in October 2004.  The truck has been great overall, however, a major shortcoming since day on has been the OEM headlights.  A wierd design, the headlamps use domed caps that capture an intense beam (in our case from replacement Sylvania SilverStar* bulbs installed several years ago) and send the light back to the reflectors, then outward in a dull, diffused pattern.  Many oncoming drivers mistake the properly adjusted low beams for high beams, and neither the high or low beams are very effective.  On dark or fresh black pavement, this light can literally disappear!

*Note:  We have not tried the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs.  I'm sure they have better luminance, but that not the issue here.  The actual design of the OE headlights creates the problem on this Gen 3 Ram.  If others have similar issues, please share!

Despite my adept night vision in low lighting conditions, I finally sought a solution after 150K miles of this nonsense.  There are many quality driving lights in the aftermarket, and I chose PIAA for its Reflector Facing Technology.  See the video for details on how much of a difference this makes.  Whether you choose PIAA or another quality product, do yourself a favor and upgrade the front lighting on your truck.

For further details, see my magazine article at:  http://www.4wdmechanix.com/driving-light-upgrade-and-tests-piaa-rf6-and-lp530-lights/.