1990 jeep wrangler with the 2.5l 4cyl engine. it was rebuilt about 10 years ago its got 100,000 ish on the engine. About 4 years ago it started making this noise. Some people thought it was a diesel  engine. oil pressure test confirms somethings up. The needle was some what jumpy. It only does it when the engine is warmed up. I suspect its a lifter issue or a spark knock.  

Any ideas?

the needle wobbles or shakes all over the place. its not very consistent. but its close enough to where you can tell what the pressure is. I had my brother take it to his collage and the instructor there was saying it was coming from the bottom front of the engine, they used some sort of sonar thing. is there a way I can post videos on here? 

• Administrators

Okay, so this is an engine noise or knocking.  We have talked about the Steelman ChassisEAR tool at the diagnostics tool forum.  I have one, and they are hypersensitive for pinpointing noises, with multi-channels and the ability to road test with the multiple pickups attached.

Yes, you can post a video here at the forums.  At the lower right side of the edit box, you'll see the "Insert other media" button.  This works for still images or a URL for a Vimeo or YouTube video.  In the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." button at the lower left, you can upload any popular kind of file within the file size limit.

Or, you can use the hyperlink in the upper tool tray at the edit box to link an existing YouTube or Vimeo video.  Just copy and paste the video's address into the hyperlink—or simply paste the video's address right into the copy of your post!  The Vimeo or YouTube player will embed.

Let me know if you have any more difficulty with adding a video.  If you can share the noise and visual footage, even from a cell phone video and smaller file, that would be helpful!

Moses

• Administrators

Hate to disappoint, Sinisterwillys1940.  Try opening your .MOV file...Your .MOV file came through with zero bytes (0KB) of content.  Can you post the video at YouTube?  A link to there would work perfectly.

Personally, I no longer use .MOV and now save as .mp4 and other formats.  Apple dropped the security support for QuickTime, and everyone has been bailing out of QuickTime, causing havoc for use of the .MOV format.  

I've replaced QuickTime with PowerDVD 16 from Cyberlink, and PowerDVD 16 does support .MOV format but only in H.264 Codec.  My Nikon DSLR saves video files in .MOV, but I edit and change the .MOV to .mp4 format during production.  For those interested in whether PowerDVD 16 would work, here are the supported formats, according to Cyberlink:

File Support

Media Type

Formats Supported

Movies

BD-R 1.1/BD-RE 2.1, BD-R 2.0/BD-RE 3.0, BDROM 2.2, BD-J, BDROM Profile 1.1 (Bonus View), BDROM Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), BDROM Profile 5.0 (BD 3D), AVCREC, AVCHD XAVC-S, DVD-Video, DVD-VR, DVD+VR, VCPS, VCD, SVCD, CD, BD ISO, DVD ISO

Videos

265, 264, 26L, 3G2, 3GP, 3GP2, 3GPP, ASF, AVC, AVI, BSF, DAT, DIV, DIVX, DVR-MS, FLV1, H.265, H.264, HEVC, JSV, JVT, M1V, M2P, M2T, M2TS, M2V, M4V, MK3D, MKV, MOD, MOV1, MP4, MP4V, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MPV, MTS, MVC, QT, TOD, TP, TPD, TRP, TS, TTS, VC1, VOB, VRO, WM, WMV, WTV2

Photos

BMP, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF, TIFF, MPO3, JPS, ARW, CR2, CRW, DCR, DNG, ERF, KDC, MEF, MRW, NEF, ORF, PEF, RAF, RAW, RW2, SR2, SRF, X3F

Audio

AAC4, AC3, ADTS4, ALAC, APE, AOB, DTS, FLAC5, DSD Audio (DSF, DFF), M4A, MID, MKA, MP2, MP3, MPA, OGG, RMI, WAV, WMA

Subtitles

External (text): SubRip (.SRT), PowerDivX (.PSB), MicroDVD (.SUB), SubViewer (.SUB), SubStation Alpha (.SSA, .ASS), SAMI (*.SMI)

External (image): VobSub (.sub+.idx) 
Embedded: 
MKV: SSA, ASS, SRT, PGS (Compressed PGS, Uncompressed PGS), VobSub

MP4:  VobSub, Embedded-Timed Text (MPEG4 PART-17)

1Only supports FLV/MOV files encoded with H.264 codec

2Only supported in Windows 7 with OEM TV Feature Pack

3Only supports 3D MPO files

4ADTS and AAC require windows 7 or above

5Music files only

Can you save your file as an .mp4 or H.264 codec upload?  Can you upload the video to a YouTube account?  Either would be workable.  I'd like to see this video if it's not too much of a hassle.

Moses

• Administrators

SinisterWillys1940...I'm second guessing that you have a major bearing knock if it sounds "like a tractor", meaning a diesel.  Driving in this state will damage the lower engine bearings and other lubricated parts.  I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine, tapping into where the oil sender goes.  If the oil pressure is erratic or low, you have either an oil pump problem or way too much bearing clearance in the lower engine—or both.  A spun main, rod or camshaft bearing is possible here.

Do not continue running the engine without first confirming the oil pressure.  If oil pressure if precariously low or fluctuating wildly, a long shot is that the oil pump's pickup screen is either out of position, bleeding in air from a poor screen installation, suffering cavitation/aeration from a loose screen pickup tube, or the screen is clogged.  Any case, the oil pressure sounds dangerously low, and damage to the lower engine and other lubricated parts will occur quickly if you continue to operate the engine.

Moses

• Administrators

The video helps a bunch, SinisterWillys1940...Sounds like the 2.5L timing chain or a defective timing chain tensioner...Use a sounding rod or stethoscope (even a piece of PVC or copper tubing will do) to listen closely at the timing cover.  Avoid the moving belt and other parts!

If my guess is correct, when you accelerate the engine, slack goes out of the chain and the noise disappears temporarily.  These illustrations should help clarify:  

Jeep 2.5L Timing Chain and Tensioner.pdf

The chain could be badly worn or the spring loaded tensioner has failed.  If this is your noise source, it could explain why the engine has not blown up yet.  If the chain is running against the timing cover, which I suspect, you will be in store for a new chain, sprockets, tensioner assembly and timing cover with gasket.

I would still test and rule out an oil pressure problem as we discussed earlier...

Moses

The oil pressure is good but its sort of all over the place but its not to the point where I cant tell where its at. I got that $5 stethoscope from harbor freight and it does sound like its from the timing chain . Also when its cold like I go to start it in the morning it wont make any noise. When i did the timing chain I just took off the tensioner from that bracket and swapped them out when the kit had the new tensioner on the bracket.