Welding course help

Hello, 

I'm a machinist. I have been working for 3 years now. Usually my job is assembling machine parts. I have no experience in welding. I wish to switch job as I find welding more rewarding and challenging. I found a welding school near my place, but I don't know what course to select. Should I go for a technician course where I will learn all the aspects of welding or should I go for specific courses like stick or tig welding. I'm good with designing. So, help me choose a program.

• Administrators

Sundance...Your machinist background combined with welding, especially TIG (GTAW) process, would be very valuable in a creative and career way.  I'm not directly familiar with WeldTech as a training facility, I'm gathering that it is an on-campus, intensively hands on training?

The ratio of theory versus hands-on (20%/80%) is actually valuable.  You need both, but hands-on is essential for welding, a hand to eye coordination craft.  You want to speak with former students to see whether they were employable, could pass certification welds, and could hit the ground running in a work environment upon graduation.

The tuition is not exorbitant if the school can deliver.  You need to ask for several references, former students with a track record after training.  Ultimately, it's up to the individual trainee if the program is worthwhile.  I taught, and the same curriculum produced skilled aircraft level weldors while others worked in I-CAR body shops or building trailers. 

The three types of welding would be better than just TIG.  You also want to learn oxy-acetylene welding and brazing.  One career angle would be tool and die repair and fabrication.  Or anything else that involves welding!

Moses

Thanks a lot Mosses for your kind advice.

My inquiry found that the school is giving good training and placement assistance. As you said, I will opt for complete technician course, so It can give me a wide career options.

Once agian thanks for your support.

• Administrators

You're very welcome, Sundance!  Let us know how this works.  The course is relatively quick, so you'll be in the field by fall.  (Do you attend classes at the school's campus, and does this mean relocating while you attend school?)

I'm banking that your background as a machinist will swing the doors open wide, that you'll find a career path that is very interesting, engaging and profitable!

Moses