Ram to Dakota 3.7L V-6 Motor Swap

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but if not I'm sorry... I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 QC with a 3.7 V6. Now I have to replace the engine due to badly overheating. I found a 3.7 out of a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 I was wondering if this swap would work and if not how hard would it be to make this swap? Thanks

• Administrators

Bwomack92...Thanks for joining us at the forums, this is the right place for your question!  The swap should be straightforward, as both engines are MPI 3.7L V-6s.  Biggman100 and I have had several forum discussions about the Ram V-8 swaps into the Dakota, your engine should be a much easier change.  

I would suggest comparing the engine accessories and sensors before making the swap.  Be sure that the wiring harnesses will work.  2004 versus 2006 should not create issues, but look at the exhaust system parts, flexplate or flywheel, engine front accessories and placement of motor mounts to decide which swap parts you need.

If you're buying the engine from a recycler, they should have interchange manuals (traditionally Hollander or Mitchell) or a subscriber service to confirm whether the complete engine can be exchanged.  There should be not issues with these model years, but if any parts do differ, these recycling industry guides will outline the parts needed.

Let us know how this works out...I have catalogs covering either model and year, and a comparison of part numbers can break down common parts if you find any challenges.  Be aware of PCM and key switch security features.  You'll want to keep your 2004 PCM and make sure all harnesses hook to the engine and transmission (AT) as they did originally.

Moses

This has been the best news I've heard some I started trying to do a motor swap in this truck I appreciate all the info and I'll keep y'all posted as I have bought the motor just waiting for a free weekend to actually do the work

• Administrators

In the meantime, Bwomack92, you can carefully compare the two engines and their peripheral parts and accessories.  You can decide what needs to be kept or swapped with the engine change.

Please keep us posted on the outcome!

Moses

• 1 month later...

If you have time and not in a big rush doing the swap order any parts you need from rock auto it saved me a bunch of money . Just make sure you check on all the motor details before ordering . Other than that the swap was straight forward.