1994 F150 4x4 E4OD Transmission Issue

• Administrators

Andrew...Does this feel like Neutral or is the transmission slipping?  If a neutral feel, the converter could be an issue or the intermittent loss of fluid flow and pressure.  The pump inlet filter could be involved here.

How many miles on this unit?  Is the pan/oil filter fresh?  Is the pan/filter O-ring sealing properly?  These are the simpler items on the checklist.  The oil pump inlet filter and seal are not readily accessible and typically addressed during a major transmission overhaul.

Moses  

It's more of a neutral , it doesn't do it hardly at all if it's pulling a trailer but as soon as I take the trailer off it starts doing it again , I had a used transmission and a new torque converter put in around last July and about a month later it started doing the same thing, I don't know how many miles were on it because someone else took the cluster out of it 

• Administrators

Andrew...This sounds like a hydraulic pressure issue.  When you're pulling a trailer there's a load and higher throttle pressure.  Under light loads (higher manifold vacuum or lighter throttle positions), the problem goes away.  This could be due to electrical or mechanical components involved with the transmission's hydraulic pressure.

This problem persisted after a transmission and torque converter change.  While it could be two transmission assemblies with related troubles, that coincidence is not likely.  Several of the transmission shift and line pressure functions are controlled electrically.  The Power Control Module could be involved or electrical harnesses that connect the PCM and other devices like the EPC, TOT, TP, RPM and MLP.  

I would have a transmission diagnostic test performed by either a Ford dealership or an independent shop with a diagnostic scanner that can test these precise devices.  This could save a lot of time and money in the long run.

There's something systemically wrong, and the trouble spot has a role in the transmission's hydraulic line pressure.  You want to rule out any of the chassis/electrical or electronic components, including the wiring harnesses and the speed sensor at the rear axle.  There is low line pressure in the transmission.  (This can be verified with a hydraulic gauge at the transmission's line pressure test port and others.)  You want to find the cause of the low line pressure.

Moses