How to Safely Pull Tapered Axle Wheel Hubs

• Administrators

So you bought a vintage Willys or Kaiser Jeep or an AMC/Jeep CJ with Model 20 rear axle?  You're restoring any older vehicle with a rear axle that has tapered hubs and keyed axle shafts?  Splines rusted, and you can't get your later 4x4 front axle shaft loose from the unit bearing/hub?

There's a right way to do this and the wrong way...I just finished an HD video on the use of an OTC 7394 Hub puller and the OTC 6574-1 adapter plate.  If you're staring at a wheel hub and axle shaft that needs force to separate, check out the 11-minute video on how to do this properly: http://www.4wdmechanix.com/HD-Video-Tool-How-to-Using-the-OTC-7394-Hub-Puller.html.

post-1-0-61800800-1371310621_thumb.jpg post-1-0-69335500-1371310623_thumb.jpg post-1-0-20527600-1371310625_thumb.jpg

Click on photos to enlarge...

Since the late 'sixties, I've been using this kind of tool setup on early Jeep tapered and keyed axle shafts (later on the AMC Model 20 CJ rear axles), plus vintage Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker, early I-H Scout and other vehicles—this is a safer way to remove and preserve these hubs and axle shafts!

Moses