Considering a 2000 Jeep TJ

Hello all,

I am looking into buying a Jeep. I've never owned one, but I have some friends and family who have one and I'd like to get one as well. My car is in need of being replaced, so I was looking for something that can be used as a daily driver and also some camping and light off-roading in the summer.

I found a local 2000 TJ Wrangler with 134,000 miles on it. It is listed at $10,900, but the owner said it is negotiable. It's also a 4.0 6 cylinder. Here is the description:

5 speed manual transmission. Bought in 2014, reconditioned with the following & lots more

Kenwood stereo CD player with detachable face plate & aux input
VDP 6 speaker 200 watt peak power sound bar
Rough Country 4"suspension system with shocks, stabilizer & front/rear adjustable track bar
Heavy duty front control arm brackets
Yukon high performance 411 gears, front & rear
Detroit TruTrac limited slip in rear
New ball joints, upper/lower
New fan clutch
New radiator
K & N air filter
New steering box & power steering pump
New Smitty Built seats, front high back bucket. rear fold & tumble - black
Advanced adapters slip yoke eliminator & custom rear driveline
Bushwacker flat fender flares
Spyder custom rear bumper with tire carrier, custom front winch bumper, 12,500# winch
Custom rock sliders
Goodyear Duratrack 33" tires, about 5,000 miles
New locking center console with cup holders

This jeep looks very clean. The body is straight, paint looks good, interior looks clean. However, I haven't had the time to test drive it yet.. My question is, is this priced high? especially for the mileage? I am under the assumption that a taken care of jeep can last 300,000 without major repairs if it's taken care of. Is that wrong? I guess all in all I am just wondering if this would be a good purchase or not, and potential problems to check for when I take it for a test drive. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

• Administrators

KenDen...Welcome to the forums.  Others can share their insights on the 2000 Jeep prospect, I'll open with some thoughts.

The equipment follows proven build-ups and desirable upgrades.  The Rubicon edition was not yet available.  Does the Jeep have the factory Dana 44 rear axle option or a Dana 35 rear and 30 front?  The 44 rear would be desirable.  Does the Jeep have a factory hardtop?  That would be a strong plus.

If the Jeep has a solid frame, no obvious signs of trail abuse, and no record (CarFax would be helpful) of collision damage that would alter the safety or handling, this could be an excellent value at the price.  Assume that it would cost well over $5000 for these upgrades, improvements, repairs and add-on equipment with labor. 

My only concerns would be the overall condition of the vehicle and how all of this equipment has been installed.  If done by a competent and reputable shop, you have a real value here.  Ask to see receipts if available.  Ask the seller how long each add-on has been in place to determine its reliability and signs that these products were installed correctly.

Moses