2005 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L: Considering an Engine Swap

Hey, first time starting a conversation

I have a 2005 Dakota 4x4 quad with a 4.7 Magnum...   Motors shot and rather than rebuild this engine thatbgetsball kinds of bad rating ID like to swap..(will be my first swap) .. Was wondering. What kind of engines and what year trucks I could use to swap with less headaches....  Was aiming for either a  hemi or possibly the 360 r/t?    Anyone know where I should start thanks....

• Administrators

CountryboyRoper...You're right about the 4.7L V-8, a great engine with very poor cylinder head (valve seat and casting issues) track record.  I'd be drawn to the 5.7L Hemi used in the later Ram.  It's a whopping 390 horsepower plus fuel efficient in the multi-cylinder operating mode.  I like the late Dakota styling and can see why you want to keep the truck!

The concerns are: 1) bellhousing/converter housing pattern, 2) motor mounts, 3) overall fit in the bay, 4) exhaust system, 5) cooling, 6) wiring harness and PCM interface and the usual minor swap challenges.  Wiring and the PCM will likely be the biggest issue, as this package needs to fit with your chassis wiring.  AEV does the 5.7L Hemi V-8 into the Jeep JK Wrangler Pentastar 3.6L V-6 chassis, and they likely use an interface harness.  Perhaps the AEV tech line would care to comment on the PCM interface.

Others who have done or considered this swap need to jump into this discussion.  There are other approaches, including the retro LA pushrod 5.9L V-8 and use of earlier Dakota 5.2L V-8 components to complete the swap.  However, if emissions inspection and testing is required, you need to avoid earlier engines, as emissions standards require the same year or newer engine than the chassis, and the engine must meet the tailpipe standards for the original engine in good operating condition. 

I'll be watching for the response here and trusting that members will comment and assist with this V-8 swap prospect...When useful, I'd be happy to jump in again!

Moses