Liberty transfer shift lever has no connection to transfer case.

Today I went to shift out of 4 high and my transfer shift lever didn't feel right. The fact that I had a hard time getting out of my icy driveway didn't sink in until I tried to shift back into 4 high. I was trying to properly engage the transfer case at the proper speed, but nothing happened and it was then I realized that there was no resistance in the shift lever. I went all the way to 4 low without anything happening, so I assume that the cable has become disconnected or has broken. Being without proper space to work under the Liberty at this time of year I will be forced to take it into a shop. Am I looking at a costly repair, or a quick fix? Thanks for the information.

• Administrators

BadDriver4x4...Could be as simple as a cable coming loose at the transfer case lever.  Could be more but sounds basic.  No clunks, rattles or other symptoms, it should be linkage related.  I have parts diagrams if you need a clear picture of how the shift system works.  

Make sure you trust the shop.  Ask to see the problem before you hear a cash register ringing.

Moses 

Edited by Moses Ludel

After an embarrassing amount of work to get the center console out of the way I found out I only really needed to pry off the transfer lever boot to see if the cable was connected. DOH! Well, the cable is connected to the ridiculous plastic handle and I will need to get under the vehicle to reconnect the cable or find out if it has broken. Now, I can either get into the mud to check it out, or go to a place where I can use a lift, or have someone check the linkage for me. That's where having a cousin in the auto salvage business comes in handy sometimes. We'll see what I can manage.

I got the guy at my usual garage to put the Liberty up on a lift and he said that I need a new bushing for my cable to stay on. I've looked around and found the part online, but does anyone have a place they get parts like this for good prices and with good service? I really need to get the exact part for a 2005 Liberty, not just something close, or a good upgraded part. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

BadDriver4x4...I have used the Mopar online parts dealers, they tend to sell close to wholesale, and you're getting genuine Mopar parts.  If you have the part number, they can supply.  Most have clear catalog schematics for you to confirm or find a part number.

Google search under "Mopar parts".  You'll find a roster of bona fide Mopar suppliers.

Moses