E4OD Sometimes won't go into 2nd & OD

I have a 91 bronco 302 E4OD, after traveling on the interstate if it downshifts out of od it won't go back in. If I put it in neutral then back to drive it will. But after stopping it will not go into 2nd, totally skips it straight into 3rd. Normal driving around town & on back roads I don't have a problem. 

• Administrators

91broncoxlt...This sounds like troubles we've covered.  The search key box at the top of the page can quickly turn up the roster of exchanges that we've had on the Ford E4OD issues.  

Type in the words "E4OD Transmission" (without the quotation marks).  You'll get a list of the in-depth discussions on shift issues and troubleshooting.  

This should help narrow your problem's solution!  Sounds electronic sensor related, the VSS or speedometer may be involved.  Our exchanges go into detail on this subject...Always try the least costly and least invasion approach: loose connections, dirty contacts and such can be easily remedied.  Parts replacing should only be done when necessary.

Moses

Edited by Moses Ludel