OK, you can stop laughing now...(1989 Jeep Wrangler won't run)

I am the new owner of a 1989 Jeep Wrangler.  2.5 L TBI.

I have rebuilt the engine and replaced fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and my problem is this:  It will crank, but not start.  I can start it with starting fluid, but it starts then dies immediately.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why!  PLEASE give me some suggestions.  I am not an expert and this engine is so totally different from the V8 GMs I usually build on!

HELP is greatly appreciated at this point...

• Administrators

Hi, Larry...Sounds like lack of fuel if the starter fluid will fire the engine.  Check the spark and fuel while you crank.  An easy way to do both is with a timing light hooked to #1 spark plug lead.  Shine the light on the TBI nozzles while someone cranks the engine.  You should see spark (light flashes steadily as the engine cranks) and also see a spray mist of fuel.  

If you have intermittent spark and no fuel, check the crankshaft position sensor at the 11 o'clock position on the bellhousing (looking toward the front of the vehicle).  The sensor could be damaged or simply dirty.  Is the flywheel resurfaced and clean?  Is there debris or oil grime on the flywheel?  Are all electrical grounds good?  If the fuel pump is not working, a ground issue could be involved.

There are many 2.5L TBI related, in-depth troubleshooting topics here at the YJ/TJ Wrangler forums.  Here's a sampling from a keyword search using "TBI Troubleshooting" as search words at the search box (top of each forum page):  http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/search/?q=TBI+Troubleshooting.  These exchanges will be very helpful, and if you need more information, just ask!

Moses

Edited by Moses Ludel

• 2 weeks later...

I fought with a 2.5 in a Comanche pick up for about a week after swapping a good engine in;I tried everything I could think of,replaced the distributor,the module,traced the wiring to look for breaks-nothing. I finally towed it to a shop and told 'em what was wrong and the mechanic/co-owner said he'd call me when he had it running. I left and he called just as  I got home. I could hear it idling in the background. He said,"You can come and get it now." When I got there,I asked what I owed him for the work,and he just said,"Have a great day." Turns out I'd forgotten to plug in that sensor on the bellhousing,and the Tech just plugged it in and started the truck..:wub:

Speed