Moses ,

In  My Jeep zj 1994 4.0L engine AWD trans, do i need to re gear if i will use a 30- 31 tires and what gear and where to buy this gears. can i ask you regarding the TPS in the ZJ,does it affect  kickdown or its the TCM  that control this shifting?  sometimes   my i experience  is the it kickdown  only up to 2nd gear and sometimes it goes to 1st gear, is it the adjustment of the kickdown cable ? is it  lose or is it to tight?  also  you advice me before regarding the  anti  return valve in the trans  i cannot  locate it, also where i can buy this valve how do i check if its ok?

, please advice me  With all my Thanks.

Cheers:,

Mario Bedayo 

Philippines

• Administrators

Mario...The ZJ Grand Cherokee's 1st gear is low enough for 30-31 inch tires with stock gearing.  Unless you have a lot of accessories, 3.55 or 3.73 gears will work with 30" tires or even 31".  4.10 would be better with 31", but the cost of gears and labor is not worth the change.  The weight of a ZJ with the 4.0L engine would call for 4.56 gears if you go to even larger 33" tires.

Kickdown on your automatic transmission does involve the throttle valve cable and its adjustment.  I would start by adjusting this cable.  There could be other troubles, but start here.

These are the factory adjustments related to the Jeep 4.0L ZJ Grand Cherokee 42/44RE transmission.  There is also the 46RE transmission used with V-8 engines, not yours.  This PDF information is for the 42RE/44RE.  Confirm your transmission type from the tag on the transmission case.  Here is information:

Jeep RE Transmission Adjustments.pdf

Moses

Jeep RE Transmission Adjustments.pdf