wj 4.7 valve issue

ive had a wwj for about 2 years really nice car but about 6 months ago it had a catastrophic engine failure dropped 2 valve seats made a real mess being the ho engine its cost prohibitive to fix the engine however ive found a donor car its not a ho but its only $1000 aud & it runs fine so ill do the engine swap then ill sell it ive lost confidence in the 4.7 it seems to be a common problem & after seeing the damage in my engine i dont want to push my luck

cheers  ian

• Administrators

Ian...This is too bad, and the valvetrain troubles have been well documented by machine shops, especially for high mileage vehicles.  Aluminum cylinder heads, in general, are vulnerable to hard steel insert type valve seat issues.  Problems around expansion rates of the head casting and seats underlie this issue.

The Chrysler/Jeep 4.7 V-8 is a good performer and delivers impressive fuel efficiency for the displacement.  Our daughter and son-in-law bought a higher mileage (used) '99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V-8 and got great service out of it.  The cylinder head issues seem to be hit or miss.  I can understand your reticence about the engine.

I am especially partial to the WJ platform, the last Grand Cherokee with beam axles front and rear.  The 4.0L inline six is a bit under-capacity for the vehicle weight.  That leaves the 4.7L and a quest to keep the engine intact. 

Moses

Hi Moses

yes it certainly was a good performer & returned good fuel milage also being a very nice car to drive however when it died i bought a chrysler 300 srt8 for the wife so it has become surplus to requirements had i intended to keep it i would have had the heads redone with a couple of thou more interference this is supposed to resolve the issue

but i can only have so many cars im even going to sell my 70 challenger i just dont get time to drive it & im sure the jk will become my daily drive

cheers  ian