I know i covered some of this, with different ideas, in the dodge section, but, this time, its about a different approach. My neighbor has a 1992 dakota, that he removed the A/C components (lines, evaporator, condensor), but, due to the belt drive, left the compressor attached to the engine. He asked me the other day if anyone makes a kit, or what parts are needed, if possible, to convert his A/C compressor to an onboard air compressor. I have never seen it done, but, i figure someone has to have done it at some point, so, i figured i would ask here. What he wants to do is, convert the compressor, and, then, plumb it into a 20 gallon tank in the bed of his truck, that way, he has an emergency air source, if he ever needs it. I did some searching online, and didnt see where anyone made a kit to do it that way, or, even a parts list of what would be needed for a conversion like that. If anyone has ever done it, let me know what parts you used, and where might be the best place to get them. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

• Administrators

Hi, biggman100!  The compressor idea works for many, with one caveat:  The unit's crankshaft bearings must oil. The most popular A/C compressor for this kind of conversion is the classic York HD unit that has its own oiling crankcase and a crank and rod bearing lube system.  It operates, essentially, like a standalone compressor.  

Many A/C compressors rely on a closed refrigerant system with special oil and refrigerant that serve as a lubricant.  Unless the crankshaft bearings are permanently sealed/greased, there is a need for lubrication.  

So, in your neighbor's case, it would be important to know how this compressor lubricates—especially with the rest of the system disconnected and the compressor still on the engine.  Belt driven, this unit could be in trouble.  Explore the type of compressor and its lube method.

Moses

Moses, so far, i havent found any info at all on even who makes the compressor. I looked on my dakota, and the spare compressor i have, and cant find a label anywhere. However, i dont think they are self oiling, simply because, mine has ran with the lines detached for at least a year now, and, when you try to engage the clutch, it completely locks up and wont even spin by hand. I took my compressor, unhooked the belt, applied volatage to lock the clutch, and, nothing would turn, so, i think its froze up from lack of oil.

• Administrators

biggman100...Others may want to jump into this discussion...Your test may be indicative; however, I have seen references to a Sanyo compressor being used for an on-board air conversion.  Haven't seen what is required in the way of lubrication.  

Does anyone have experience with on-board A/C compressors other than the classic York?  I'm old school York...

Moses

I'd have to vote for the York, if it'll mount up or is adaptable to the engine.  

I'd like to mention, however, that if a guy's on a budget, as I constantly am (I didn't win that last BIG lottery!) he might consider one of the 12V Arnott electric air pumps used in GM cars, and it seems, on some of the Lincoln's as well for their air ride suspensions

.  Gotta be a gazillion of 'em out there.  Seem to be fairly inexpensive, as well.  Have no idea what sort of volume they put out, but if a guy had a decent-sized tank, the pump would run as long as the key was on, keeping the tank aired up with enough volume/pressure to do a lot of tasks.  Just a thought........

Edited by Rocket Doctor

• Administrators

Hi, Rocket Doctor!  How are these 12V Arnott pumps used?  Are they for systems that require a lot of volume and pressure?  Do these vehicles use an air tank?  Enlighten us!

ARB and others have doubled up on 12V air system pumps to create enough volume.  The York is a lot of displacement and pressure with an engine driven approach.  That's why they are popular for air system conversions, along with their self-contained crankcase lubrication method.

I have an Oasis Mfg. "in-the-can" portable York compressor with its Anderson plug cable hookup:  http://www.oasismfg.com/index.html.  It has a smaller auxiliary air tank.  The well-built package has served without a whimper for many years, the compressor fits within an ammo-type canister.

Here's an example of a York on-board air system for those who are curious.  I quickly grabbed the Dodge truck page link for biggman100's reference.  These AirBoss systems are available for Jeep and GM as well:  

http://www.cuoffroad.com/home/complete-airboss-kits/dodge-airboss-kits/

Moses

• 2 weeks later...

Moses, some insight on this, after doing a air suspension to coil spring conversion on a 2004 hummer h2. The air compressor in it was extremely small, and, I would assume, that by the time it repeatedly filled even a small tank, would wear out fairly quickly. After doing tons of research on the hummer,before the conversion, even the heaviest air bags for that held, if I remember, something like 3 pounds each max. On my Dakota, and my neighbors truck, we are both looking at, at the least, 20 gallon, 145 PSI max, steel thanks. The compressor pictured is for a 2009- current gm truck, and, CFM appears to be around 1.35 PSI, but, the label looks like it says 135 PSI.

P-2204-Map1.jpg

• Administrators

Impressive little critter, eh?  Looks like a miniature York or commercial compressor.  The motor dwarfs the compressor; the piston might be the size of a model airplane engine's piston!

Let's get more details on the pressure and volume, 1.35 PSI seems very low, you'd think a vacuum pump would do better...We'll suspend judgment until we have the specs and intended use.  Wire gauge would hint that this is not a very powerful setup.

Moses