Moses

I have fallen into an opportunity to purchase a 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief for a reasonable price and would like your "What to look for" advice.

The truck is in regular use and makes 200 mile trips hauling a family to camping trips several times a year.  They just need a larger vehicle as they now have to take two SUV's to get everbody there,

As I said, it is a 1976 but with several upgrades, some I like, some I don't know yet.  

V8 360, factory 2 Bbl. 2150 carb with 727 AT and Twin Stick Dana 300 transfer case,.  4" Spring lift with proper shocks etc. and 33-12.50X15 AT Tires.  AC works but has small leak, easy enough t fix.. Non original front seat, but all else is original.  Very rust free but has had front floor pans replace in the past.  The power back window works well also.. 

From what I can find, the Dana 300 was not stock in 76, but could be a very good upgrade due to its strength, not that I am going to do serious offroading. 

I am going to look at it this weekend and taking a buddy who has rebuilt one Chief and just bought another for a rebuild, so will have some expertise with me.

I also bought a 2006 LJ with 47K miles that I am going to sell as I do not like the newer Jeeps compared to my CJ7..

Your comments please,

Thanks,

Gene

• Administrators

Gene, the 2-door Cherokee is a prize, I'm on board!  The J-truck platform is the same league or better than your Scout IIs.  

The original transfer case was likely a Quadratrac full-time.  A Spicer 20 shows up in some models, though typically the automatic is a full-time Quadratrac.  On the Cherokee FSJ, the rear differential should be in the center, though on the CJs with Quadratrac, the rear diff is offset to accommodate this side-drive transfer case.

A Dana 300 is as stout as the Spicer 20 and much better with its helical gears and better low range ratio.  This is a transplant, however, so look it over for installation quirks, especially the mate-up to the 727 and clocking/positioning of the 300. The Dana 300 is a Jeep CJ unit from 1980-86 and not coupled with a 727.  CJs did use the 904/999 Chrysler transmission.  Ask questions about the installation and how it was done, including spline input, clocking and mounts.

The LJ Wrangler has a cult following.  If you do sell it, there's a hungry market out there.  A Rubicon LJ is the ultimate prize, your standard model still has huge cache and should be an easy sale!

Moses

Moses

Thanks for the quick response on the Cherokee as I am going to look at it Saturday.

As for the LJ, I bought it with the intention of keeping it and as usual, went through it.

All new fluids, cooling, transmission, engine, transfer case both differentials.  All new rotors & pads and rear calipers, new Bilstein HD shocks...  so it is in excellent condition, 4.0 EFI w/ 4 speed auto, 1 -1/2 year old Besttop..  Warn 9.5TI front winch and 47,500 original miles

it will make someone a real good Jeep..  I just am too big and old to get in and out easy..  plus I really like the Cherokee and I have the CJ7:)

Merry Christmas,

Gene

• Administrators

Gene, I understand the FSJ and CJ-7.  Rushed to look at an FSJ Cherokee a few years ago, only to discover it was a rarer 4-door (not a Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer).  I passed.

We had an '87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and kick ourselves for trading toward a new KJ Liberty in 2002.  The dealer reluctantly took the 'Grand in trade...In hindsight, that was a keeper, my wife still regrets not having the 'Grand.  We got over the Liberty within two years and sold it to a family member...

Happy Holidays!

Moses

Well, my buddy and I (he has 2 Cherokee Chiefs) went to look at the one I was after..   Way too much rust and pretty cobbled together..

So as you did, I passed also..  I will find one sooner or later or another Scout (already got one in the sights) but until then I will continue with the CJ7 which I will probably keep to putt around in..

Oh well, at least we stopped and had some good BBQ..  

Merry Christmas to all,

Gene

• Administrators

Good BBQ is often worth it, Gene!  Rust at Texas must be Gulf Coast Area?  Or was the Jeep from out of state?

I thought the Scout II bug might resurface.  Jeep vehicles have their niche, glad you see the CJ-7 as a keeper, you've put energy into that project, too!  I could get excited about a Scout II with the Nissan diesel, perhaps a well-documented and properly kept 1980 model (last year of production) with a turbo and Dana 300 transfer case would be a real find...What is the one in your sights?

Happy Holidays!

Moses

There are two in the area I am going to look at next week or so..  

One belongs to a friend and the other is just sitting in a driveway in the next neighborhood...

I'm not really in a hurry, as I want to work on the CJ this winter and want to get the LJ sold.. if you know anyone looking for a nice LJ, this is an original 47K mile one owner Jeep.

I know where there is a 1980 SD Scout..   4zd7p-5329184953@sale.craigslist.org

in Houston with a lot of spares..  kinda of interesting, but I am not a diesel fan..  worked on big cats when I worked offshore years ago and have owned several diesel trucks and just don't care for them anymore..

Go check it out..

Gene

• Administrators

Visited the Houston Craigslist for this Scout II.  It's been modified quite a bit, my optimal find would be original and as near stock as possible...Did like the extra engines and parts, that's a plus; however, the interior, glass and console need attention...Parts chasing for a 1980 Scout II would be time consuming.  $12,500 is a premium price for a project in progress...

Thanks for sharing!

Moses