98 ford ranger fuel pump test

you were so much help with our jeep wrangler thought maybe you could help with ranger question. We have a 1998 ranger 3.0 efi. It started to start hard . If you turn key on a couple times  it starts right up. I did a fuel pressure test. When I turn key first time gauge goes to 25, second time 50, third time 55 then it starts normal. While it is running it goes to 63 and stays there whether the rpms are slow or fast. When you shut off pressure drops very slowly. I'm thinking a new fuel pump is in my future unless you have a better idea.  Thanks!

• Administrators

mtjeep82...Fuel restriction, like a gasoline filter or tank sock, could be involved here.  You're "priming" the injectors each time you cycle the key.  Another prospect would be the pressure regulator not holding while the injectors prime.  The fact that the engine and fuel pressure work fine once running would minimize the chance of the pump or regulator being at fault.

This is a fuel flow issue, either low volume (with adequate pressure) or a fuel pressure regulator that's acting up...I would start by simply changing the fuel filter at the frame rail.  Make sure you use the correct tool for detaching the fuel filter lines, or you will damage the garter springs and wind up replacing expensive fuel lines.  

This photo, courtesy of the internet, (thanks to the anonymous source) is a tool that works.  I have a K-D tool like this one and also the Lisle nylon garter spring release set in graduated sizes (for fuel, transmission and A/C lines).  Either will work and is readily available.  Take your time when disconnecting lines, you want them to seal when reassembled.  Assembly is simpler, just snap fittings squarely into place:

IMG_0016.JPG

Let us know whether the fuel filter does the trick!

Moses

Edited by Moses Ludel

• Administrators

mtjeep82...Consider the fuel pressure regulator...Also could be the pump base filter in the tank...Before changing either, check the vacuum hoses and check valve(s) to the fuel pressure regulator.

Do you have reason to suspect debris in the pump pickup filter?  If I were to drop the tank and change that filter, the pump would get replaced at the same time.  Too much work to replace the pump later...Your pump does seem okay at this point.

Moses